eat more and die faster

I've read from various sources that if you eat more then your inner organs wear down faster, and thus you will die faster. Yogies claim that eating less prolongs the life span. What do you think about this stuff, folks? Do the gym people live longer, same as average, or more than average people?

I read about calorie restriction diet in John Robbins Book

Many people eat this way- if you choose to do this focus on reducing your intake of calories to a level 20-40% lower than is typical, while still obtaining all the necessary nutrients and vitamins. I like to fast monthly for 2 days- maybe its a good thing for a long life?

John Robbins in his book Healthy at 100 Book

The research is pretty interesting...seems convincing to reduce your calorie intake as long as it is high in Nutrition.

Those living the longest are found in “the valley of Vilcabamba in Ecuador, the Hunza region of Pakistan, the Japanese island of Okinawa and the republic of Abkhazia, near Russia.

What are the reasons for such long, healthy lives in those regions? Robbins has found a number of practices and habits that add to longevity. The people get most of their protein from plant sources, including beans, peas, seeds and nuts. Only a minimum of animal-derived products are found in their diets. They also eat lots of good fat, from flaxseed, sesame and sunflower seeds, nuts—getting very little saturated fat.

Their calories are relatively low. While the men are very active, they eat an average of about 1,900 calories a day, compared to the 2,650 calories taken in by the average American male.

Exercise includes lots of vigorous walking and, in some cases, mountain climbing. Studies show that frequent activity with the intensity of brisk walking significantly reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

Another key to longevity, according to Robbins’ research, is a “deep sense of human connection.” In all four communities “people continually help one another, believe in one another and enjoy spending time with each other.”

He also discovered that people in those communities actually look forward to growing old, as they expect to be healthy, respected and considered wise. Other studies suggest that negative thoughts about aging can undermine a person’s health.

I read about calorie restriction diet in John Robbins Book

Many people eat this way- if you choose to do this focus on reducing your intake of calories to a level 20-40% lower than is typical, while still obtaining all the necessary nutrients and vitamins. I like to fast monthly for 2 days- maybe its a good thing for a long life?

John Robbins in his book Healthy at 100 Book

The research is pretty interesting...seems convincing to reduce your calorie intake as long as it is high in Nutrition.

Those living the longest are found in “the valley of Vilcabamba in Ecuador, the Hunza region of Pakistan, the Japanese island of Okinawa and the republic of Abkhazia, near Russia.

What are the reasons for such long, healthy lives in those regions? Robbins has found a number of practices and habits that add to longevity. The people get most of their protein from plant sources, including beans, peas, seeds and nuts. Only a minimum of animal-derived products are found in their diets. They also eat lots of good fat, from flaxseed, sesame and sunflower seeds, nuts—getting very little saturated fat.

Their calories are relatively low. While the men are very active, they eat an average of about 1,900 calories a day, compared to the 2,650 calories taken in by the average American male.

Exercise includes lots of vigorous walking and, in some cases, mountain climbing. Studies show that frequent activity with the intensity of brisk walking significantly reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

Another key to longevity, according to Robbins’ research, is a “deep sense of human connection.” In all four communities “people continually help one another, believe in one another and enjoy spending time with each other.”

He also discovered that people in those communities actually look forward to growing old, as they expect to be healthy, respected and considered wise. Other studies suggest that negative thoughts about aging can undermine a person’s health.

Well, based on this, the key to longevity may very well be the fresh air and water, strong community, lots of physical activity, etc. rather than the eating of a few hundred calories less every day.

Well, based on this, the key to longevity may very well be the fresh air and water, strong community, lots of physical activity, etc. rather than the eating of a few hundred calories less every day.

Based on other research in both animals and humans it seems pretty obvious that CR does promote longetivity and there are theories (actually quite good ones) that would explain this. Less protein means less IGF-1, less calories means less age related decrease in insulin sensitivity which means less insulin, less calories means more ghrelin which have very potent positive effects (antioxidative) etc etc. If you're intrested more in CR I would look up studies done by and even better lectures by Luigi Fontana. He's not a guru or a guy that's saying "CR is the truth to everything" but he knows the research and can explain a lot of the results.

The reason I got into intermittent fasting is that some of the benefits is the same as CR but you don't have to cut calories. CR isn't something for an athlete really while IF really is.

CR also makes a bit of sense from the things we know about physical activity. In the right amount stress seems to be good for us, hunger involves stress and so does physical activity.

Based on other research in both animals and humans it seems pretty obvious that CR does promote longetivity and there are theories (actually quite good ones) that would explain this. Less protein means less IGF-1, less calories means less age related decrease in insulin sensitivity which means less insulin, less calories means more ghrelin which have very potent positive effects (antioxidative) etc etc. If you're intrested more in CR I would look up studies done by and even better lectures by Luigi Fontana. He's not a guru or a guy that's saying "CR is the truth to everything" but he knows the research and can explain a lot of the results.

The reason I got into intermittent fasting is that some of the benefits is the same as CR but you don't have to cut calories. CR isn't something for an athlete really while IF really is.

CR also makes a bit of sense from the things we know about physical activity. In the right amount stress seems to be good for us, hunger involves stress and so does physical activity.

Yes, I know all that. My point was that the info Veganluv presented was not enough to conclude that caloric restriction is the reason those people live so long.

My point was that the info Veganluv presented was not enough to conclude that caloric restriction is the reason those people live so long.

And I agreed that it wasn't, but together with the animal and human studies on CR I think it is.

Digestion takes energy. When you give your body a break from digestion, your bodies uses the energy to other matters such as healing, instead of digesting. Thats why fasting has many health benefits and healing effects, your body uses the energy for healing instead of digesting. Too much digesting results in not enough healing.

To an extent. However the real key is moderation. Look at the heart. If you never exercise the heart, it withers and dies faster than if you exercised. But exercise it too much and it breaks down sooner (ie shorter life). The middle path is the key...

Yeah exactly. That's what I kinda meant with physical activity. Stress seems to be healthy in moderation and not chronic stress of course.

Natures way is always the best.Moderation and acknowledgment of your food will always be the way.I once read that you should chew your food and roll it around your mouth until you swallow it unconsciously because it allows the other digestive organs a chance to do their best work.I read this from a old hatha yoga book so it also say's you absorb more prana(chi) this way.It would definitely be the best way the eat food if you were in a survival situation but takes a long time which not many people have these days.That book is almost 100 years old and says that man will evolve to no longer eat flesh.Good book.

oo much overthinking for something so obvius.

What's so obvious? How to maximize ones lifespan and quality of life? That is far from obvious and that is what we are discussing.

I really don't think restricting food intake is a good idea.

Good for what? What makes YOU think that? Science suggests it probably is a good idea to restrict calories to expand your lifespan. What makes you think differently? A hunch maybe?

There's some evidence that people with a lower average daily calorie intake live longer and with less morbidity than those with a higher average daily calorie intake. Some people theorized that it's from excess oxidative stress - generating more free radicals as a result of metabolizing that extra food.

But, as has already been pointed out, this is such a multifactorial issue. Higher calorie diets support greater levels of activity, so if you're eating more and exercising, you can't really argue that you're less healthy than someone who is eating less and exercising less. And maintaining exercise, especially strength training, into old age greatly improves bone density and reduces the risk of life-threatening fractures.

There are then completely separate issues, like what you're eating - if it's nitrate-rich red meat and produce covered in pesticides, more food = more crap you're putting into your body. If you're eating vegan and/or organically, it's hard to make a similar case.

There's some evidence that people with a lower average daily calorie intake live longer and with less morbidity than those with a higher average daily calorie intake. Some people theorized that it's from excess oxidative stress - generating more free radicals as a result of metabolizing that extra food.

But, as has already been pointed out, this is such a multifactorial issue. Higher calorie diets support greater levels of activity, so if you're eating more and exercising, you can't really argue that you're less healthy than someone who is eating less and exercising less. And maintaining exercise, especially strength training, into old age greatly improves bone density and reduces the risk of life-threatening fractures.

There are then completely separate issues, like what you're eating - if it's nitrate-rich red meat and produce covered in pesticides, more food = more crap you're putting into your body. If you're eating vegan and/or organically, it's hard to make a similar case.

I agree with you. As long as your body uses the food that is put into it, no stress will be put onto the digestive tract. And what type of foods matter also. From all of the research I have conducted, the most easily digestible foods that exist for human kind are fresh organic fruits and vegetables - nothing competes. Many people on this site advocate soybeans, other beans, rice, and other foods - but these foods aren't easily digestible for us because they have to be cooked, cooking anything makes it harmful to the body. Also, fresh fruits and vegetables have alot more nutrition and enzymes that assist in digestibility. This is why athletes who undertake the low-fat raw vegan diet notice remarkable increases in overall energy and vitality.

A great website to learn more about low fat raw veganism you can checkout www.30bananasaday.com.

Personally, I have previously consumed large amounts of beans, grains, protein powders derived from pea, rice, and wheat, and they all caused diarrhea, energy-drain, and headaches. Now I only consume fresh fruits and vegetables and I am feeling ALOT better. People overemphasize the need for protein, so vegans turn towards unnatural foods like protein powders and beans which are very harmful to health. Beans and grains are not humans natural foods. Only foods that are eaten in their raw state are natural to that species who are able to consume that food in the raw state. The only foods that humans can consume in their raw state are fruits and vegetables!

So to conclude, I would say that to extend life, and to prevent aging. The best way to eat is to eat local, organic fruits and vegetables. And to consume only to the extent in which your body will use. If you are more active, eat more fruits and vegetables. If you are less active, eat less.

That simple!

Blessings

I agree with you. As long as your body uses the food that is put into it, no stress will be put onto the digestive tract. And what type of foods matter also. From all of the research I have conducted, the most easily digestible foods that exist for human kind are fresh organic fruits and vegetables - nothing competes. Many people on this site advocate soybeans, other beans, rice, and other foods - but these foods aren't easily digestible for us because they have to be cooked, cooking anything makes it harmful to the body. Also, fresh fruits and vegetables have alot more nutrition and enzymes that assist in digestibility. This is why athletes who undertake the low-fat raw vegan diet notice remarkable increases in overall energy and vitality.

A great website to learn more about low fat raw veganism you can checkout http://www.30bananasaday.com.

Personally, I have previously consumed large amounts of beans, grains, protein powders derived from pea, rice, and wheat, and they all caused diarrhea, energy-drain, and headaches. Now I only consume fresh fruits and vegetables and I am feeling ALOT better. People overemphasize the need for protein, so vegans turn towards unnatural foods like protein powders and beans which are very harmful to health. Beans and grains are not humans natural foods. Only foods that are eaten in their raw state are natural to that species who are able to consume that food in the raw state. The only foods that humans can consume in their raw state are fruits and vegetables!

So to conclude, I would say that to extend life, and to prevent aging. The best way to eat is to eat local, organic fruits and vegetables. And to consume only to the extent in which your body will use. If you are more active, eat more fruits and vegetables. If you are less active, eat less.

That simple!

Blessings

I noticed you never mentioned seeds or nuts. Which leads me to believe your rational of what man did and should eat is faulty. Also do you eat bug bodies (I know they are not vegan), because if you don't and you don't supplement with some B12 and Iodine you might run into medical problems, on you strict fruit and veggie diet, without supplementing.

Shawn is right.Beans and most grains don't exist in the nature, their man made.I tried the raw diet of fruit and vegetables but i didn't plan ahead and only had a couple of different things to eat.People think vegans have to live off salad but in reality vegans have as many options as they like.The lifefood diet is hardcore.But i did feel great while on it.

Beans and most grains don't exist in the nature, their man made.

I call BS on this statement. They're not man made, they have until recently been altered by man, a process that happens naturally without the purposefulness that man give it, unlike nature which is more random. It's called cross pollination. Beans and grains have existed in nature long before man ever came along.

Beans and most grains don't exist in the nature, their man made.

I call BS on this statement. They're not man made, they have until recently been altered by man, a process that happens naturally without the purposefulness that man give it, unlike nature which is more random. It's called cross pollination. Beans and grains have existed in nature long before man ever came along.

Sometimes I love you VJ.

Grains and beans are not man made, we have never been able to artificially create life so how the fuck would that be possible?

If people are going to start arguing about "what foods we elvoved on" and how "that's the way we should eat" I first want to say that it's stupid. Second I want to mention this study

Mozambican grass seed consumption during the Middle Stone Age

The role of starchy plants in early hominin diets and when the culinary processing of starches began have been difficult to track archaeologically. Seed collecting is conventionally perceived to have been an irrelevant activity among the Pleistocene foragers of southern Africa, on the grounds of both technological difficulty in the processing of grains and the belief that roots, fruits, and nuts, not cereals, were the basis for subsistence for the past 100,000 years and further back in time. A large assemblage of starch granules has been retrieved from the surfaces of Middle Stone Age stone tools from Mozambique, showing that early Homo sapiens relied on grass seeds starting at least 105,000 years ago, including those of sorghum grasses.

Science. 2009 Dec 18;326(5960):1680-3.

Notice how it's not even what we today call "whole-grain" but they actually consumed refined grains over 100000 years ago. Almost all humans (inuites are an exception) have several AMY1-genes in our genome and we produce about 4 times as much amylase as our monkey friends. We are obviously good at eating starch and where do we find starch? Grains, beans and tubers.