What are your ethnicities?

kollision

from now on, for every rigamarole statement im gonna reply with:

"hey keep yarmouth shut. :

Ha I dunno how a weird American would pronounce 'Yarmouth'. They seem to have trouble coordinating their eyes with their brains and mouth all at once.

(left spelling - middle actual english - right american):

Edinburgh - Ed in bruh - Eed in buh rowe watch yo self foo

Moscow - Mos co - Marz cow yippy yeehaaa home boy

arse - ars - ARRRAZZZZZZZZ connect yaself biaaaa'

Yarmouth - Yar m'th - YARAMOWTH all my G's up in diz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there has always been a bit of controversy as to what we should call ourselves, but i have heard the term mestizo to describe my background. it means a blend of spaniard, native indian, and a dash of african ancestry. a bit of history is in order here. when the spaniards came to mexico to colonize and claim the land, they made the native indian population slaves. a large percentage of the indian population died to diseases brought in by the spaniards. some african slaves were brought in to do the labor. slavery was abolished in mexico in 1829, about 35 years before the united states. thru out the centuries since then, there was so much inter-racial marraige and children born between the 3 ethincities, that they began to be considered a new race. today, mestizos make up about 60% of mexico.

i grew up in an urban area known as Los Dos Laredos, right on the Texas - Mexico border. it is really one city divided by a border (the rio grande) so half of the town is on the american side (Laredo, Texas) and the other half of the city is on the mexican side (Nuevo Laredo, Mexico). so it could be said i grew up bi-culturally. i grew up speaking both english and spanish. the population on the american side is still around 98% mexican, so alot of the mexican traditions and holidays are still celebrated. many people travel back and forth across the border everyday, to work, shop, eat, go to school, see friends and family, etc. it's not without it's problems (the heat is a killer) but it is my hometown for better or for worse.

there has always been a bit of controversy as to what we should call ourselves, but i have heard the term mestizo to describe my background. it means a blend of spaniard, native indian, and a dash of african ancestry. a bit of history is in order here. when the spaniards came to mexico to colonize and claim the land, they made the native indian population slaves. a large percentage of the indian population died to diseases brought in by the spaniards. some african slaves were brought in to do the labor. slavery was abolished in mexico in 1829, about 35 years before the united states. thru out the centuries since then, there was so much inter-racial marraige and children born between the 3 ethincities, that they began to be considered a new race. today, mestizos make up about 60% of mexico.

i grew up in an urban area known as Los Dos Laredos, right on the Texas - Mexico border. it is really one city divided by a border (the rio grande) so half of the town is on the american side (Laredo, Texas) and the other half of the city is on the mexican side (Nuevo Laredo, Mexico). so it could be said i grew up bi-culturally. i grew up speaking both english and spanish. the population on the american side is still around 98% mexican, so alot of the mexican traditions and holidays are still celebrated. many people travel back and forth across the border everyday, to work, shop, eat, go to school, see friends and family, etc. it's not without it's problems (the heat is a killer) but it is my hometown for better or for worse.

Funny thing, on TV the mexicans look White....Guess its the same for all media around the world, only the white ones get the show.

Funny thing, on TV the mexicans look White....Guess its the same for all media around the world, only the white ones get the show.

haha...yeah believe me,we have often made that observation ourselves. why is it on the mexican tv shows they have a lot of light skinned people? when i walk across that border into mexico, they don't look like the people i see everyday.

however, it is true that latinos or mestizos will run the full range of skin tones, from very light skinned to very dark and every shade in between. it is not uncommon to have this in the same family. my cousins are a perfect example of this. one cousin, carlos, is pretty light skinned. while his brother, fred, is very dark. an old teacher of mine told us that when he was in college, people would harass him because they thought he was an arab (that was around the time when iran took americans hostage). and look at these pictures. (you can click on the pictures for links)

http://www.afromexico.com/horse.jpg

http://www.laprensa-sandiego.org/archieve/march29-02/chavez03.jpg

http://www.culturevulture.net/Movies2/amoresperros3xy.jpg

http://www.madla.biz/mylastfilm/image/damian_chapa.jpg

all of the above are mexicans or descended from mexicans.

why they tend to put the light skinned ones on tv is another topic and thread entirely.

haha...yeah believe me,we have often made that observation ourselves. why is it on the mexican tv shows they have a lot of light skinned people? when i walk across that border into mexico, they don't look like the people i see everyday.

however, it is true that latinos or mestizos will run the full range of skin tones, from very light skinned to very dark and every shade in between. it is not uncommon to have this in the same family. my cousins are a perfect example of this. one cousin, carlos, is pretty light skinned. while his brother, fred, is very dark. an old teacher of mine told us that when he was in college, people would harass him because they thought he was an arab (that was around the time when iran took americans hostage). and look at these pictures. (you can click on the pictures for links)

http://www.afromexico.com/horse.jpg

http://www.laprensa-sandiego.org/archieve/march29-02/chavez03.jpg

http://www.culturevulture.net/Movies2/amoresperros3xy.jpg

http://www.madla.biz/mylastfilm/image/damian_chapa.jpg

all of the above are mexicans or descended from mexicans.

why they tend to put the light skinned ones on tv is another topic and thread entirely.

Dude this is the exact same thing they do to 'Oiwi which pisses the hell out of me. Whats worse than your situation, is that a lot of the people that are claimed to be Hawaiian are just asians! Real hawaiians look nothing like Asian and its stupid how far my culture and people have been degraded to. Even the current Hawaiians there, most are mixed and are no where near the look of a real Hawaiian. I have cousins that look like the real Hawaiians and I'll post some pics later (need to get them).

Seriously, this whole, lets jump on the exotic bandwagon is pissing me the hell off.

BTW, in those pictures, is there a real Mexican thats not mixed there?

BTW, in those pictures, is there a real Mexican thats not mixed there?

"Real" Mexicans would be Indians (Native Americans).

No I meant was anyone in the picture that he put, the real ones?

As for Native Americans, I am not sure if that (in terms of census issues) would actually apply to the Natives of Mexico, since they are different in terms of Phenotype as well as culture, etc.

i have always understood that the term Native American applies to all indigenous people of the american continents. even though the tribes have different laguages and cultures, they are all considered the same race.

" All national boundaries in the Western Hemisphere, from Alaska to Argentina, were entirely meaningless, since 'Americans' were really Europeans, and the Americas were Indian country from end to end."

-"In the Spirit of Crazy Horse" by Peter Matthiessen-

i have always understood that the term Native American applies to all indigenous people of the american continents. even though the tribes have different laguages and cultures, they are all considered the same race.

" All national boundaries in the Western Hemisphere, from Alaska to Argentina, were entirely meaningless, since 'Americans' were really Europeans, and the Americas were Indian country from end to end."

-"In the Spirit of Crazy Horse" by Peter Matthiessen-

If this is the case, are we to say the same about Europeans to Africa since everything there is connected?

If this is the case, are we to say the same about Europeans to Africa since everything there is connected?

No, because Europeans are predominately caucasoids, Africans are predominately negroids, and American Indians are, like their Asian ancestors, mongoloids.

That doesnt necessarily hold a lot of truth today. You can't base a lot of it on such things, as there are too many mixtures to even come to a conclusion that there are only three. I used to believe the same thing, which I don't anymore. Even the Aetas of the Phillipines "look" african, yet have no african genetics in them. Genetically, they are closer to Asians.

It's the same with Hawaiians. Some have that look like a lot of Mixed Africans here, yet we are genetically not even close to Africans, and share some genetic traits with Melanesians and South East Asians, and not even Melanesians have genetic traits relating to Africans.

The caucasoid, mongoloid, and negroid is just there to make things simpler, to fit them in a box so to speak because we have no other way of interpreting it (of course, to those not of that people).

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...