hey everybody

Gregggggggggg

Hello

My name is Greg. I'm a college student. I enjoy running (havn't done much in a while due to knee pain), lifting weights(3x a week), and yoga (5 mornings a week since this semester started). I occasionally play tennis or soccer for fun, but I'm new to both.

My eating habits have evolved slowly to get where they are now. I've been trying to cut down on refined sugar, highly processed food and dairy since the summer before last. During last semester I decided not to get a meal plan, so I was able to analyze every piece of food I'd consume. I ate lots of soymilk, cereal, oatmeal, fruits, and peanut butter sandwiches.

Without really thinking about it, I started to eat less animal products than I had ever before (only when I ate at restaurants). It was also during last semester when I noticed that my endurance had improved considerably(even though I used to run more frequently before then).

In the middle of the semester my college had Deanna Latson( www.gotohealth.com) speak about eating habits in a lecture for the university. She strongly recomended reading "The Food Revolution" by John Robbins. Eventually I read the book and it blew me away. I was struck by the sad reality of the meat and dairy industries.

Currently, I only eat animal products about once a month (except for honey, I eat that just about every day with oatmeal). Also, I just got a blender recently and I'm getting to the point where I don't know what I'd do without it.

I constantly seek information about health, nutrition, and fitness. I found these forums because I read "Thrive" and looked around on myvega.com and eventually ended up here. I like the laid back atmosphere and the fact that these forums aren't plagued with the negativity and machoism that ruin the quality of some other forums.

Yeah, that was a pretty long introduction.

-Greg

Welcome Greg!

Thanks for the intro. Great to have you as part of our group! I really appreciate the comments about the atmosphere about the forum. We're really proud of the feel this group provides and we love welcoming new members and building our community.

Have a great time on the forum and welcome aboard! Look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome Gregggetc,

I encourage you to work towards being fully vegan. It will reward you and open door after door. Food Revolution is definitely a good kick in the butt. Another good read is The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. Also, a great alternative to honey is Agave nectar. Anyway, enjoy the forum - it's one of the best vegan resources you could've stumbled upon!

Welcome Gregggetc,

I encourage you to work towards being fully vegan. It will reward you and open door after door. Food Revolution is definitely a good kick in the butt. Another good read is The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. Also, a great alternative to honey is Agave nectar. Anyway, enjoy the forum - it's one of the best vegan resources you could've stumbled upon!

Although I don't use Agave nectar or honey I agree with Trev a 100%, it actually tastes better than honey in my opinion! If I were to use a sweetner I would choose Agave Nectar over Honey anyways because it tastes better and mixes better with cold things!!

Anyways, welcome. I am new to these forums as well! I second the China Study!

I'll definitely have to give agave nectar a try some time.

This morning I prepared my oatmeal differently and didn't use honey.

I just heated it plain then added:

1/3 of an apple

cinnamon

8 cashews, 8 almonds, 1 teaspoon flax seed, 3 walnut halves(used grinder)

some raisins

And this actually tasted much better, so I think I'll stick with it

I read "The China Study" earlier this semester, and I agree that it's great.

I'll definitely have to give agave nectar a try some time.

This morning I prepared my oatmeal differently and didn't use honey.

I just heated it plain then added:

1/3 of an apple

cinnamon

8 cashews, 8 almonds, 1 teaspoon flax seed, 3 walnut halves(used grinder)

some raisins

And this actually tasted much better, so I think I'll stick with it

I read "The China Study" earlier this semester, and I agree that it's great.

Nice, I have my oatmeal in the mornings like that to! I don't cook mine though, I like it cold, I add frozen blueberries and sliced bananas along with the raisins and it makes it sweeter!

Just an fyi, Sunflower seeds and Pine nuts have the most protein so maybe get some of those and sprinkle on top or mix in etc. You may want to also bump up your ground flax seed to 1-2 TBSP.

Peace