Is life a game of CHECKERS or CHESS?

Ravi

In CHECKERS, you focus on one move at a time. Take pieces as they come. You aren’t thinking that far ahead. Action and short-term results are the way to win.

CHESS is an entirely different game. Outstanding chess players think a dozen moves ahead. They have a game plan. They are willing to trade-off short-term gains for potential long-term success.

Which is life?

You see, I would like to think that life is like playing checkers. You never really know what’s going to happen a few moments from now. You listen to you intuition or heart and act congruently. This sounds like a great way to make decisions…IN THE MOMENT.

However, there is something to be said for thinking things through. Considering the effect of your actions. Considering you DHARMA (duty) and pushing through tough spells to gather insights and come out of a situation better of.

Actions on the chess board of life could include having a long-term investment plan, going back to school to study for your future, sticking with a job through the “tough times” or starting a workout program with long term goals. You’re doing things with a very long term view.

So, which is it? Are we playing a game of CHESS OR CHECKERS? Living in the moment or living “intelligently” with a long term view?

I faced a very tough decision this weekend that dealt with this very subject. The hardest decision I have had to make in years.

Turns out I’m playing CHESS. How about you?

life is like that game LIFE: the board game.

http://www.intrinzicinc.com/images/portfolio/st_USBgol.jpg

I was going to say that, but I don't get big chunks of money as I go in the REAL version of the game. Maybe if they made a "middle- to lower-class" version of the game...lol

So, which is it? Are we playing a game of CHESS OR CHECKERS? Living in the moment or living “intelligently” with a long term view?

I typically play the game of checkers - figuratively. I think that there is a tremendous amount to be said for "emotional IQ" and that one can, in fact, play an intelligent game without a "long term plan". Perhaps I'm just idealistic and naive. There are worse things I could be accused of being, though. I'd like to live MORE "in the moment" than I actually do. I want to spend days with people important, savor the hours and deal with the future as it arrives.

life is like that game LIFE: the board game.

http://www.intrinzicinc.com/images/portfolio/st_USBgol.jpg

I was going to say that, but I don't get big chunks of money as I go in the REAL version of the game. Maybe if they made a "middle- to lower-class" version of the game...lol

i cant even afford the boardgame lol

Life is really like Chutes and Ladders.

My life has totally been like Chutes and Ladders lately. Too many chutes in a short period of time, but it's still an interesting journey.

I think most of us are approaching life like chess AND checkers. With some things, it's really important to think long-range and make the necessary trade-offs to reach our goals. With everything else, it's just checkers.

Life is like checkers...I'm good at chess and I get more time to think. Checkers however is very different. You can be playing well then boom your finished. Sorry to take the pessimistic route but this has happened to me with sports...after it happens you've just gotta start another game

it depends, for some people life is like ''Life'', for some checkers, for some it's like tic-tac-toe, but for me.... life is like chess.. i always have to think ahead, otherwise, nothing works the way i want..

-----

i love the game life, and i also love chess, but i hate checkers.. oh.. what a lousy game...

• 3 weeks later...