Something BIG is coming

offense74

From another thread:

My friend is convinced that something BIG is coming, something that will put everything on its head (he's not the only one who thinks this). And the people who understand what's really going on will trust their intuition and live through it fine. The rest will either learn quickly or...I don't know what.

I think something big will happen too. As I see it we have 3 major problems that are somewhat interconnected:

1. Peak oil.

2. Global warming.

3. Our monetary system.

The first one is most urgent, I think. World oil is probably going to peak in the next ten years (if it hasn't already) and the concequences will be huge. The price of living will be so high in most US cities that it will not be possible to live there. Try living in LA when gas costs $30 per gallon.

Make no mistake, peak oil WILL hit us, although we don't know when. Europe is more prepared than the US but it will probably send the world into a huge recession. Also I don't believe most Americans will vote for a president that tells them to stop driving so I think we will see more oil wars ahead. Our huge population is built for a world with cheap oil. We would not be this many if it weren't for the cheap oil.

Global warming will really hit in 10-50 years after peak oil. It will worsen the effect of peak oil, probably considerably.

The third one is a little more tricky and I haven't grasped it all yet but I think alot about it.

Basically it works like this:

Money is created when it's borrowed from a bank. There is no real value to back up the money in society in that the only thing you will get if you go to a bank with a dollar bill is another dollar bill. Money is supposed to mirror real value in real life and there are controls that the central bank can use to make sure that not too much money is in circulation since too much money = inflation. It's also a little scary to think that if everyone payed their debts there wouldn't be any money.

If this system would be "locked" it would be safer but for every dollar created there has to be more than one dollar payed back to cover up the leakage (interest rate from the bank). This in turns means that you have to create (ie. loan) more money (it grows exponentially) to make the system tick. I think the government isn't stopping the banks from the careless handling of loans and credit that they are up to simply because they know this.

If you created this money system during most of our history you would be excecuted. Today the creators and maintainers get rich.

This system has been in place before in history (when the government needed money it just created it) and has fallen every tim after a period of high inflation. Many believe that the raising oil prices that will com after we start cometing on the market for oil that is running out will bring high inflation. When the fiat money system falls, money becomes worthless and we stert trading commodities again.

We are living in a fake world where the real debt and price will have to be payed by future generations. The saddest part though is that we can't stop. We know the exact cause of the problems that we have but we can't stop because that would be inconvenient and no organism on this planet likes inconvenience.

I don't know...

I don't think gasoline will ever hit $30/gal.

If oil were to go over $100/barrel then the incentive to sell alt. fuels like hydrogen or ethanol would be too great for oil to remain a predominate source of energy. Even at last year's stint at $80 a barrel, ethanol was getting more notice. OPEC knows this and I think they'll hold to a price ceiling in order to maintain their control.

As far as inflation - Bernanke has made controlling inflation his priority. I think he's right on target. I'm not worried about it.

If oil were to go over $100/barrel then the incentive to sell alt. fuels like hydrogen or ethanol would be too great for oil to remain a predominate source of energy. Even at last year's stint at $80 a barrel, ethanol was getting more notice. OPEC knows this and I think they'll hold to a price ceiling in order to maintain their control.

As far as inflation - Bernanke has made controlling inflation his priority. I think he's right on target. I'm not worried about it.

I'm really excited by alternative fuels (my favorite being my bicycle and my legs), but ethanol worries me, because of reports that the demand for corn is/would be too high, and that corn has doubled in price in the past year alone.

You are right though, Will, it is about controlling the priority to make oil the most attractive fuel to the consumer.

Well there is no alternative to replace oil in the near future. It will take awhile for us to figure this one out. I have no doubt we will be successful in this eventually but iin the meanwhile we stand without an alternative. During this time we will have to expand less energy simply because energy will be too expensive (at least the liquid one). Ethanol would be great to fuel public transport but if everyone just carries on with the driving and the transports as today it will take up to much agricultural area and will lead to raised prices (supply and demand) and probably deforestation. Hydrogen is not an energy source but an energy accumulator, much like a battery. It takes alot of energy to get energy that way, energy that will be expensive...

I'm not an expert in the problems with fiat money versus the gold standard but I've read some troublesome things about it. It's not about inflation per se but rather how the system work.

I think those things could happen in one way or another. But I was talking about something more related to the world's consciousness. My friend thinks we're on the verge of an awakening of sorts - that people will start seeing and understanding that SO MUCH of what they "know"...is bullcrap. It could be that one of those things you mention, or a combination of them, results in that awakening.

I think those things could happen in one way or another. But I was talking about something more related to the world's consciousness. My friend thinks we're on the verge of an awakening of sorts - that people will start seeing and understanding that SO MUCH of what they "know"...is bullcrap. It could be that one of those things you mention, or a combination of them, results in that awakening.

That's really cool to think about, a world wide epiphany (spelling?)

I'm waiting for solar energy. It was given up on far too early and I think solar/electric can be the future since other than making the panels there is no need for any production after purchase for maintained usage. This combined with electric power produces from wind can potentially cover all bases on cars in the future...if magnetic motion can be brought into the automobile it will make things even more efficient.

I think the world seems to be headed for somthing big but it is hard to tell what it will be since there is so many possibilites.

I am taking note of the combination of major natural disaters and the government respose to them! Anyone else?

I think edgar casey the sleeping prophet made a prediction that the earths axis would shift sometime around this time i think, and that events leading up to it we would see come from within the earth and volcanoes would be more frequent, and i think it is reported that the volcanoes are becoming more active towards the poles, like they've been the most active since quite some time.

Edgar Casey could supposedly tap into a universal conscious while he slept and made countless predictions/insights which were true or came true.

there was a show about him on tv the other day.

Interesting post offense74, you make some really good points. I think what ties them all together is capitalism, but I'm guessing we disagree on that part

I would say greed, lazyness and comfort. I don't believe they would go away nomatter what you call the trading system

I want my working hours to count for as much as possible as will most other people too. I just don't want hidden costs that later ganerations and mother nature will have to pay.

I'm waiting for solar energy. It was given up on far too early and I think solar/electric can be the future since other than making the panels there is no need for any production after purchase for maintained usage. This combined with electric power produces from wind can potentially cover all bases on cars in the future...if magnetic motion can be brought into the automobile it will make things even more efficient.

I do believe in solar too. I also believe in nuclear fusion some time in the future. It takes alot of money to develop and solar is still ineffective. I believe for "stationary" power (like in housing) the US will prbably do a combo of nuclear fission and coal since the US basically will need something now.

That's really cool to think about, a world wide epiphany (spelling?)

Yes, something like that. Interesting you use that word, as that's exactly how my friend describes his "awakening". It's a bit hard to fathom how the world could suddenly wake up - like, picture what it would take for that to happen. Maybe a huge natural disaster, like what Lotus is talking about. Or more on the fantasy side as Kon said - aliens revealing themselves and kicking all the carnivores off the planet would certainly serve as a wake up call .

On the Edgar Casey thing - the earth actually "wobbles" on its axis. The Mayans figued this out a couple thousand years ago and their calendar is partly based on this "precession". Their calendar actually ends in Dec 2012, coinciding with several astronomical anomalies. Google "Mayan Calendar" and you'll find some pretty interesting reading material.

On the Edgar Casey thing - the earth actually "wobbles" on its axis. The Mayans figued this out a couple thousand years ago and their calendar is partly based on this "precession". Their calendar actually ends in Dec 2012, coinciding with several astronomical anomalies. Google "Mayan Calendar" and you'll find some pretty interesting reading material.

That's what I was alluding too with my T-2022 days (now 2021 days). The end of the long count.

That's what I was alluding too with my T-2022 days (now 2021 days). The end of the long count.

I figured that's what it was, but I wasn't sure and didn't feel like counting ( ).

• 2 weeks later...