my memory sucks

chesty leroux

At first I thought maybe this was a joke (the bit about having already posted about this), but I guess you are serious?

Could it be a B12 deficiency? Have you been taking B12 supplements? It usually takes a while for this deficiency to develop, so I dunno, but combined with what you said about the feeling in your arms, this occurred to me.

If you haven't been taking B12, just get some spray, like this (Vegan Essentials is currently out of the spray). See if that helps at all.

Also check out the B12 thread on Vegan Fitness for more info on the vitamin and on recovering from an existing deficiency.

Here are symptoms that I found.

People with vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia have symptoms caused by a low level of oxygen in the body. These include breathlessness, tiredness, dizziness, rapid weak pulse rate, palpitations – irregular or strong heartbeats, headaches, pale skin

As well as the symptoms of anaemia, vitamin B12 deficiency may cause neurological symptoms such as inflammation of the nerves (neuritis) which can affect movement and sensation, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), colour blindness, lightheadedness, confusion, depression, poor concentration and forgetfulness. There may also be loss of appetite, diarrhoea and weight loss.

thanks for the tips guys. I've been feeling really tired lately too. maybe from a cut in calories, i'm trying to follow the eat to live method of eating, lots of fruit and veggies, some beans, once in a while some grains. I picked up some flax oil today and threw a tablespoon in one of my salads, hopefully it will help out. I definately need to get some B vitamins somewhere, i hate taking vitamins because i wonder how much you actually get out of them, and how much you pee out in your neon pee. As far as my arms hurting I think i am going to lay off any intense weight training, maybe do some light, and stick to yoga and cardio.

My memory has sucked too but not enough to realize my memory sucked before I went vegan too. I can't remember anything other than how to eat.

Your diet sounds really good! Maybe you just need to eat a little more of it? Yeah, I have given up on vitamin complexes and just take the two things I mentioned (B12 and DHA). I would say that if you are eating the eat to live way, you shouldn't have to worry about supplementing most things. But you do need B12! Just get a B12 supplement, with no other vitamins in it, and take that.

Memorization is something you have to exercise, just like a muscle.

It could be simply that you haven't been needing to memorizing much lately and then when a time comes that you need to remember alot of things, it seems more difficult.

Memorization is something you have to exercise, just like a muscle.

It could be simply that you haven't been needing to memorizing much lately and then when a time comes that you need to remember alot of things, it seems more difficult.

yep i agree.

my memory sucks now too. probably for this very reason. that and i just no longer care to hold on to a lot of useless information

maybe i should try and do some memorozation exercises or something. hmm. i forget stuff that I am trying to remember. its weird, i can remember feelings behind things and that is what i use to retrace my steps. I can't remember what i came up to my room to get but it made me agitated or sad or happy. sometimes that helps. it's strange.

I suggest not being in the habit of forgetting. The fact that there is a moment where you forgot shows that you allowed yourself to begin thinking about other things in the moment when you should be focused on doing what you first set out to do.

You can't expect yourself to instantly remember something without first putting in the work necessary to remember it later.

If for whatever reason you absolutely must do something else inbetween what it is you should be doing, you'll have to create some sort of reminder for later which will help remind you of whatever it is you need to remember. How you do that is up to you, and might be good to experiment with.

For me, it sometimes helps to imagine an object or an action I will do or see in the future and then mentally attach this with what I want to remember in the moment that this event occurs. Then when that time comes around, I am more likely to remember what I wanted to remember.

The more you do it, like anything else, the better you become at it.

Exercise your brain! it likes to play.

i wish i had an ipod. haha. i love music.

i've been throwing a TBS of flax oil in one of my salads daily, and a few walnuts here and there. worrying that might be too much fat as i am trying to take some weight off following the eat to live plan.

for now i'll just keep writing stuff down all the time. and its kinda cool that i forget everything in my books after i read them cause i can read them again and its all new. hahaha!