What's the problem with Potatoes

paragonx

I have always heard that eating Potatoes wasn't good for weight loss. I also think that they aren't considered eating clean.

Here is some nutritional info

(1) Organic Idaho Potato (5.3) oz

110 Calories

0g fat

26g carbs

2% calcium

3g protein

6% iron

2g fiber

1g sugar

I guess the 26g carbs is high. Other than that what is the problem with the Potato?

-Ann

Atkins people don't like potatoes for weight loss.

What most people put on top of the potato is what makes them fat.

The only problem I see with a potato is the micronutrient content.

When compared to most fruits and veggies, a potato ranks at the low end.

Thats the worst time to eat them if your looking for weight loss...if anything you should have high glycemic stuff before hand so you can have a harder workout...then don't eat for a while after the gym. Thats not with my philosophy though...I think we should be eating high carbs throughout the day.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question about potatoes. As far as I can remember, they've been referred to as complex carbs, but at the same time they have a high glycemic index.

I thought the glycemic index was about how much sugar a food has?

People say to eat simple carbs after a workout.

Others say eat high glycemic food.

Well...potatoes are high glycemic but have complex carbs, right? But then some fruits are low glycemic and have sugar.

I don't get it

Well I guess my question more or less is: Do carbs from potatoes turn into fat easier because they're high glycemic, or are they good for you just like every other complex carb food?

I do not consume any root veggies with the exception of sweet potatoes once per week while off season. But all in all depends on your goals.

I'm sure our goals are very different I'm 16, trying to get BIG lol.

I do not consume any root veggies with the exception of sweet potatoes once per week while off season

interesting, i understand with the potatoes and high sugar ones like beets and carrots but i'm curious about other root veggies and your take on them?

I was always under the impression that 'roots' are where all the vitamins are absorbed and were therefore nutrient dense and good for you regardless.

I like root vegetables such as:

sunchokes (artichoke root), celeriac (celery root), Tarot Root, Burdock Root.

Not the ones that just grow underground like radishes but the ones that are actually the 'roots' of certain vegetables (not sure if tarot falls into that category but i thought they were good for you).

People are all over the place on this thing...potatoes are starchy so that normally means complex carbs...but some say they have a high glycemic index...I think this means someone is full of crap.

I have always heard that eating Potatoes wasn't good for weight loss.

(1) Organic Idaho Potato (5.3) oz

110 Calories

Potatoes are low calorie. 110 calories is less than the 2 slices of the whole wheat bread I have in my freezer, at 80 calories per slice.

FWIW, I lost 47 pounds over the course of last year.

I ate potatoes, I ate rice, I ate bread, I ate carbs, I ate bad carbs, I ate fat,........I ate everything you can eat and still be vegan. I ate everything that every popular diet author casts as a culprit in weight gain.

I just learned to stop overeating.

Edited by beforewisdom

I ate potatoes, I ate rice, I ate bread, I ate carbs, I ate bad carbs, I ate fat,........I ate everything you can eat and still be vegan. I ate everything that every popular diet author casts as a culprit in weight gain.

I just learned to stop overeating.

I think that that is the key thing here. As for potatoes, in Finland we eat loads of potatoes and with all this fast food crap, they are still held as one of the foods that people must eat. I eat potatoes quite often and I think they are great food. And it's hard for me to see that someone would be capable of eating themselves fat off of potatoes.

In the US it is more about what people top potatoes with or how they cook them ( in oil ).

I see, I just boil mine so that way there is no excess fat. Occasionally if I have leftover potatoes is fry them with onions and pretty much everything that I find in the fridge.

In the US the majority of potatoes consumed are deep fried, either in the form of french fries or potatoe chips, which adds scads of calories to the potatoes. When not fried, Americans are most likely to have them baked ( higher glycemic index ) and topped with a high calorie dressing. Sour cream, butter, margarine, olive oil, cheese, nut butter based sauces or faux vegan analogs.

I read that the lower GI way to eat potatoes are to pick very small ones and boil them. Sweet potatoes and yams are supposed to be very low GI.

Still GI doesn't make a difference if you simply don't pig out on potatoes.

I personally don't see a problem with Potatoes. In fact I'm going to make them an important part of my diet. I eat lots of Pasta for my protein. But with Potatoes there fresh and you can wash them. So you now where they have been.

want to make my diet 100 percent non-manufactured soon.

I think I'd probably eat at least 5-10 Potatoes for Dinner( Along with tons of other High Protein Veggies ) I need to bulk up some. I want to rid myself of excess skin tissue and such. So. Potatoes seem like the perfect way to get startch and protein( Well plus beans but I won't bring that up here =p )

I have a question about potatoes. As far as I can remember, they've been referred to as complex carbs, but at the same time they have a high glycemic index.

I thought the glycemic index was about how much sugar a food has?

People say to eat simple carbs after a workout.

Others say eat high glycemic food.

Well...potatoes are high glycemic but have complex carbs, right? But then some fruits are low glycemic and have sugar.

I don't get it

GI has nothing to do with simple or complex sugars. Usually, industrial sugars are high and as you come closer to nature, it's low glicemic.

"The “glycemic index (GI) is a numerical system of measuring the rate of blood glucose generation by a particular food item as compared to a reference item, such as glucose = 100. Foods with higher glycemic index numbers create greater blood sugar swings. " (from the link below)

Over 50 is high GI, 50 and under is low GI.

Oven baked potatoes or fried: 95

Boiled or steamed potatoes: 70

Maltose (as in beer) is the highest of all (110), even more than glucose.

Heat can transform a low GI into a high GI, like for potatoes (too bad we can't eat them raw) and carrots. Always eat your carrots raw. White bread is 95, whole grain bread is 50... Soy and other beans, nuts, fruits are between 10-30, they should never be avoided. Bananas and dried fruits are 60 though.

for more info : http://www.randypollak.com/html/giindex.html

Edited by I'm Your Man

I just had some raw carrots today! They were good. All I know about potatoes is that they are a very starchy food. And if I''m not mistaken ( I could be) don''t they have quite a few calories too. That's why I thought people dieting avoided them, and only had yams which are supposed to be better. I don't have all the nutritional info/facts that everyone else has, and I love learning about it. I can say with 100% certainty that every time I come onto this website I leave more knowledgeable than before.

I just had some raw carrots today! They were good. All I know about potatoes is that they are a very starchy food. And if I''m not mistaken ( I could be) don''t they have quite a few calories too. That's why I thought people dieting avoided them, and only had yams which are supposed to be better. I don't have all the nutritional info/facts that everyone else has, and I love learning about it. I can say with 100% certainty that every time I come onto this website I leave more knowledgeable than before.

Potatoes are very healthy depending on how you cook them. A potato has like 50% fiber and potatoes with skins have Vitamin C, Pottasium, B6. and many trace minerals like zinc and iron. Except for the fiber, the skin is where most of the nutrients lay.

If you don't believe me check out the "pototo" article at www.wikipedia.com