Is Your Vegan Diet Healthy?

DV

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a feeling you would take the bait. No self-respecting Bostonian could let me get away with that! You really must use a pronounced accent when you visit. People in Portland love that. Even if they can't understand you. Which they won't.

it's funny. i spoke with the boston accent--a heavy one--for the first fifteen years of my life. then i realized it was stupid and taught myself how to pronounce things properly (comparatively at least ) but i still find that whenever i get really angry the accent creeps back up on me like i'm in the mob or something. but hey-if it'll be a crowd pleaser--i can bring it like whoa.

I've got a nasty hybrid Philly-New York accent that comes on when I'm angry or talking fast or I've had more than one glass of wine. I'm sure it brings down my IQ point to the listener. Unless she's from Boston, of course.

By the way, nice avatar! Looking good!!

Boston accents are fun. And Jersey ones.

I am curious as to what my accent sounds like here in the northern part of the Midwest. I know one thing we do for words like "Clinton" is say "Clintn." We say the "Clint" part just fine, but then use no vowel and drop the "n" down.

No one is looking out for your health except you.[...] NOTHING can replace health - no therapy, pharmaceutical, herb, operation, nothing.

It's time for me to tell you how much I appreciate your posts again;

I appreciate your posts.

-Aaron

Thats just like my parents treat me. I think anyone who claims that vegans need b12 or calcium is a idiot.Its just a growing trend for people to criticize vegans.Because they don't want to feel bad,because we're healthier than them

I will pass that along to the vegan medical professionals, including myself. Glad to know that I'm an idiot. I am also happy to know that although all other humans have an essential need for calcium and B12 it appears that vegans do not.

We get b12 from animals.So why are you even a vegan???If you need b12 so much,go drink a big glass of milk and have a nice cut of steak.If vegans need b12 so much then why are we still living??Why are we stronger and more healthier than normal people.Normal people eat meat and get b12 and they die,get diseases,and are weak.So do we need b12 to have equal health like them?Please tell me doc?

If vegans need b12 so much then why are we still living??

Because a deficiency takes years to develop. Because most vegans get b12 in some form or fashion. Most are smart enough to supplement.

Why are we stronger and more healthier than normal people.

You're not. Especially with 25 grams of protein or less according to your earlier posts.

What does more healthier mean? I thought it was just healthier.

Normal people eat meat and get b12 and they die,get diseases,and are weak.So do we need b12 to have equal health like them?Please tell me doc?

That has nothing to do with b12. You are susceptible to disease just as they are.

Seriously, you have 8 posts. Don't flame someone that has been here a while and is actually educated on the subject. Unlike yourself.

You should be the last one talking. having a picture of a meat head in a thong on your profile.By the way your picture looks like a gay turkey.Ohh wait isn't that you.Faggit!!

Intelligent reply.

Oh, for future attempts at insults, it's spelled "faggot."

If vegans need b12 so much then why are we still living??

Because a deficiency takes years to develop. Because most vegans get b12 in some form or fashion. Most are smart enough to supplement.

Why are we stronger and more healthier than normal people.

You're not. Especially with 25 grams of protein or less according to your earlier posts.

What does more healthier mean? I thought it was just healthier.

Normal people eat meat and get b12 and they die,get diseases,and are weak.So do we need b12 to have equal health like them?Please tell me doc?

That has nothing to do with b12. You are susceptible to disease just as they are.

Seriously, you have 8 posts. Don't flame someone that has been here a while and is actually educated on the subject. Unlike yourself.

You should be the last one talking. having a picture of a meat head in a thong on your profile.By the way your picture looks like a gay turkey.Ohh wait isn't that you.Faggit!!

Yo, get off the forum. Peace.

WOW! Are we seeing a kinder gentler Josh???? Holy smokes! You just asked someone to get off the forum "please". Never thought I'd see the day

by the way, for some reason I can't view your progress photos on your log. Don't know why...but I bet you look great!!!

He didn't say please.

Josh has mah back.

No one is looking out for your health except you.[...] NOTHING can replace health - no therapy, pharmaceutical, herb, operation, nothing.

It's time for me to tell you how much I appreciate your posts again;

I appreciate your posts.

-Aaron

Thanks Aaron! You are always so kind.

Thats just like my parents treat me. I think anyone who claims that vegans need b12 or calcium is a idiot.Its just a growing trend for people to criticize vegans.Because they don't want to feel bad,because we're healthier than them

I will pass that along to the vegan medical professionals, including myself. Glad to know that I'm an idiot. I am also happy to know that although all other humans have an essential need for calcium and B12 it appears that vegans do not.

We get b12 from animals.So why are you even a vegan???If you need b12 so much,go drink a big glass of milk and have a nice cut of steak.If vegans need b12 so much then why are we still living??Why are we stronger and more healthier than normal people.Normal people eat meat and get b12 and they die,get diseases,and are weak.So do we need b12 to have equal health like them?Please tell me doc?

While Zack did a lovely job of answering these questions, I have a few comments to pass on.

I don't know who you are but assume you are a teenage boy with a lot of growing up to do. Please stop posting on this forum until you have something constructive to add and can control your temper. Name calling is not behavior we allow here and I'm sure your mother would not approve either.

It seems odd that someone advocating a vegan diet so strongly would throw around words like "faggit." I tend to hold the belief that most who are vegans are at least semi-intelligent since it generally takes at least some small measure of thinking to make the choice to become a vegan. I guess I had better rethink that.

I can't view these videos on my Mac for some reason.. I must be doing something wrong

I have a Mac too. Don't download the videos, but the mp3's. To do that, I had to go on Download.com and search for realplayer for Mac, the new beta version (11.0 I think) is really good. Here's the link:

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4.html?tg=dl-2003&qt=real%20player&tag=srch

Then you'll be able to download the mp3's on your Mac and eventually put them on a cd or on your mp3 player to listen to them when you got time, because they're like 1 hour each.

Great information in Dr. Greger's video...but I'm not sure I could make it through a whole hour of his rather, um, distinctive speaking style.

That bothered me to. I have also watched one movie from the same author and you think to yourself, like I would never give this video to one meat eater, no way.

But thanks God I listened to whole tape because I think he speaks good stuff, and from the story he told I think he really takes a good insight in to the essence of research.

sometimes not having the internet can be maddening.

I eat a decently healthy diet i think. But i recently bought udus oil that has a good ration of 3-6-9 fats. and i bought a supplement that has calcium magnesium and vitamin D in it. When i did the nutrient data chart on one of those track your intake i was receiving almost 89 percent of my daily recommended vitamins from foods alone so i feel pretty good about that. That being said i probably could use eating more greens and root vegetables.

Phillipeb, I'm going to give you the reasoning behind my dislike of Udo's oil, although it's certainly not a harmful oil.

Our diets are high in omega 6 fatty acids from many of the foods we eat. We are low in omega 3s. Flax oil, especially the Spectrum brand with added DHA, is mostly omega 3. Blended oils such as Udo's add omega 6 - of which we eat more than enough. If you need protein because your diet is high in carbs, then Udo's is like eating a tofu sandwich while flax oil/ seeds is like eating just the tofu.

If the only fatty acids you ate throughout the day were from Udo's then the balanced ratio would be a good thing. I don't think it's worth paying for omega 6 fatty acids when all I'm looking for in a supplement is omega 3. As for omega 9 (oleic acid), you can get it from olive oil and it's not an essential fat. Again, why pay for it in a supplement.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth.

I don't have anything against the Udo company, I just think they use tricky words to make their product seem as though the ratio is important. However, they do have the addition of