what do you do when you find out?

ok so i love harvey's (a burger joint in canada, not sure if they're in the usa) but recently it was confirmed the buns have dairy in them on their site it says the burger patty has no dairy or eggs or whatnot, even the onion rings i emailed to ask, but the buns had a dairy allergy. i guess me being naive i assumed they put that on the site just in case they come in contact with some dairy product (which they have for fish on a bunch of the products even though they don't actually contain any fish) but apparently the buns actually have dairy. i could easily flip out, get mad, start writing emails, etc but i'm actually quite surprised how calm i am about it.

btw, if anyone eats the veggie at harveys, apparently you can ask to use the buns from the chicken sandwich (which doesn't have dairy) but i haven't tried yet i'll let you know if they do it (i'll probably get some weird looks ... cant wait)

I just don't eat bread anymore because I know they dump dairy shit in it all. It makes me very angry because lots of people are allergic to dairy yet they put it in EVERYTHING!

I can't handle gluten anymore anyways so that's another reason I gave up bread.

Is that really as bad in Canada? In Germany putting milk in normal bread is not a usual routine, as far as I know. I could be too naive though . But the ingredients list of most breads sold in supermarkets support my view.

Dairy is in everything here in the States...I won't eat bread at a non veg place unless its made in house or I know where it comes from(where I went to college a lot of the local restaurants served bread from a really good local baker that happened to be vegan). Otherwise I just won't eat it. If you go to a Greek place and eat the Pita you're fine 99.9% of the time...but to trust a burger joint is pushing it.

Thanks for the post. Now I am going to check Burger King, because once in a blue moon I will get the Veggie Burger there with no cheese and no mayo. I bring my own veganense in my purse lol Hey I take my salad dressing and stuff with me too. I don't eat out hardly ever but want to know what I am eating when I do.

This reminds me. I ran out of fresh nut butter so went to walmart and picked up a jar of Naturally More Peanut Butter that I used to get because it has less fat and more protein than other store bought. I didn't have my reading glasses on, really didn't think I would need them. So after I got home I read the label, and Lord Behold the put Egg Whites in it. WHY WHY WHY? I know why but still WHY lol Really ticked me off.

Okay I looked up Burger King and the Veggie Burger without cheese or Mayo apparently does have dairy, but a wooper doesn't and a couple other sandwiches. So I guess I can ask for a wopper bun then. This is just ridiculous really. Better just not to eat out unless it is a Vegan place or something like Sweet Tomatoes that lists all the ingredients if needed.

I've seen a peanut butter with eggs in it...it was really weird. The label said Natural Peanut butter in really big letters and I was excited to see a new (what I initially believed to be vegan nut butter) brand on the shelf. I picked it up assuming it was surely vegan but I was hoping to see that it was organic...well it was neither. The only thing it didn't have was high fructose corn syrup...it was really odd.

i could easily flip out, get mad, start writing emails, etc but i'm actually quite surprised how calm i am about it.

How come you were still calm? One time I checked the ingredients of a cinnamon-raisins bread only after I ate 2 slices, there was dairies in it. It sucks because I've made a long way to arrive where I'm at now, and if I find out there's this crap in what I eat I feel like betrayed or a victim, then it makes me remember : we can't trust anyone but ourself, we need to be constantly aware of everything.

I used to feel somewhat betrayed but really its all our faults for giving someone the benefit of the doubt. You can't trust much in a country where vegetable shortening can legally be called vegetable shortening so long as its at least 80% vegetable based.

Is that really as bad in Canada? In Germany putting milk in normal bread is not a usual routine, as far as I know. I could be too naive though . But the ingredients list of most breads sold in supermarkets support my view.

Germany has all kinds of great food purity laws. Here in the U.S. and Canada, manufacturers can put all kinds of stuff in your food.

Germany has all kinds of great food purity laws. Here in the U.S. and Canada, manufacturers can put all kinds of stuff in your food.

There are some weird products here, too, though. I often have the feeling that the manufacturers just have some animal pieces left and throw them in without advantage in taste nor in consistence.

If I find out, to come back to the topic, I'm often just totally disappointed because the product could have been made vegan without anyone noticing it.

that sucks dude, i hate it when vegan options dissapear from menues. good thing they have the other bread.

in sweden 98% of all the bread is totally vegan which is kinda weird since we have the lowest percentage of lactose intolerance and milk allergy in the world, but i like it =)

that sucks dude, i hate it when vegan options dissapear from menues. good thing they have the other bread.

in sweden 98% of all the bread is totally vegan which is kinda weird since we have the lowest percentage of lactose intolerance and milk allergy in the world, but i like it =)

Normally though, they just add ingredients from milk into bread when they put it in (ie: Whey, casein), not using actual milk for flavor, just putting it in as a preservative or something.

Yes it is very bad. The only bread I can buy is this stuff called Silver Hill's. It's made without flour too, which is nice. It's sprouted grain bread and contains more protein and more fibre than any other bread I've seen. I eat bread once in a blue moon. I bought a loaf of bread like 2 weeks ago and still have some in the freezer lol.

Canada and the USA is absolutely insane with it's dairy and meat addiction. If I were to go to a regular family restaurant, I'd starve to death because there is NOTHING on the menu for me to eat. My mom invited me to lunch to a place and I looked on the menu online and I can only eat the house salad (which is an appetitzer) and I'd have to eat it without the dressing! WTF! No wonder everyone's fat and dying of heart disease. I wish the government would pull thier heads out of their ass and see what's going on. The medical system is in crisis because of all the goddamn porkers who can't fit on the surgery tables/beds and are in the hospital once a week due to some sort of diabetes complication.

I was just eating a salad today at a restaurant, and when I tried the italian dressing it tasted a bit weird. So I looked at the ingredients,and sure enough it had some dairy products in it, and it wasn't even a creamy italian dressing. I thought I read on Peta that the burger king veggie burger was switched from a vegan burger to one that has dairy in it. But perhaps they switched back again.

When I walk into a restaurant I tell em I have a dairy allergy. They usually look at me with some sort of panicked look, but are more willing to tell me the ingredients of stuff.

You're doing the right thing by telling it's allergy rather than telling you're vegan. Otherwise the waiter can tell this to the cooks, if one of them is a redneck or has some prejudices against anything that is uncommon, he may spit in your food or put some animal products in it.

If I go one day to get a blood test, just to prove to others that I got all the vitamins, B12, proteins, oligo-elements required, I'm not gonna tell I'm vegan to the doctor, otherwise who knows he may trafficate the results.

Thanks for the post. Now I am going to check Burger King, because once in a blue moon I will get the Veggie Burger there with no cheese and no mayo. I bring my own veganense in my purse lol Hey I take my salad dressing and stuff with me too. I don't eat out hardly ever but want to know what I am eating when I do.

Forget the bread, the BK Veggie hasn't been vegan since early 2005. They had a vegan burger for the first three years, but the new one is from Morning Star Farms and has eggs and dairy in it.

I think its not always good to tell people you just have an allergy. Its makes people you may be eating with think you're ashamed of being vegan and not proud that you don't kill anything. As for restaurants...I bet there are many dairy ingredients they aren't even aware of(hell...non dairy creamer always has dairy in it and thats a company saying its non dairy). Be proud of what you are and be thorough with your questions.

You're doing the right thing by telling it's allergy rather than telling you're vegan. Otherwise the waiter can tell this to the cooks, if one of them is a redneck or has some prejudices against anything that is uncommon, he may spit in your food or put some animal products in it.

Yeah, I haven't thought about that. Could very well happen.