Safe squatting without rack

I workout at home and I don't have a squatting rack, so I have to first lift the bar over my head and rest it on my shoulders before squatting and then do the reverse to return the bar to the floor.

The problem is that I'm squatting more than I can safely lift above my head and am worried about doing damage.

I guess the answer is to squat with dumbells instead of the barbell.

What do people suggest?

I suggest getting really good at front squats and learning how to do good dead lifts until you decide to go to a gym or dish out the bucks for a rack. You can do some muscle building safely by lifting what you can safely lift behind you're head but if you want to do massive weight you really shouldn't do them unless you have a killer clean and jerk.

Yeah I had the same problem as you, so I just stopped doing squats.I will resume when I have bought the rack.

A possible solution is to go to a gym that will let you pay a small amount for one session, and do your squats there - it will save "joining" a gym

I workout at home and I don't have a squatting rack, so I have to first lift the bar over my head and rest it on my shoulders before squatting and then do the reverse to return the bar to the floor.

The problem is that I'm squatting more than I can safely lift above my head and am worried about doing damage.

I guess the answer is to squat with dumbells instead of the barbell.

What do people suggest?

Your thinking very level headed. Go with it. Buy a squat rack or join a gym with one. The money saved isn't worth getting hurt and probably would only be a fraction of a hospital bill.

You could always try Zercher lifts. You can safely go heavy with them.

Here's a vid:

Thats cooky....I bet that really hurts your arms with a lot o weight.

Make your own rack?

I went the hardware store and picked up some steel cabinet holders, and some screws that are supposed to hold up to 400+ in weight when drilled into cement, and just made my own rack

you can google "make your own squat rack" and youll find tons of very cheap alternatives.

Cheapest solution to a temporary squat rack - get a pair of sawhorses and use them as supports. Measure your distance to your ideal bottom squat position (floor to height of the bar on your shoulders at bottom) and try to get a pair that will be around that height (probably 20-24" tall). Get 2 pair if you want extra-security, they're definitely not that expensive. They won't be good for safety if you're squatting 300+ lbs., but if you just want to do squats up to about the low to mid 200s it'll give you a cheap alternative, and you can nail in a few extra 2x4s to add extra support if you feel the need.

The only down side is, you'll have to start your squats from the bottom up, but in my opinion, that'll only make you stronger anyhow, so really, it's not that bad after all

Otherwise, you could have a pair built for you by Pitbull for what should be less than $200. Other options, if you can save up about $300, New York Barbells has a really good deal on their short power cage (which is good for low-ceiling environments) and can be found at http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro92560.html. The Sumo Rack, which will still get the job done, is only $249, and can be found here: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92565.html.

A REALLY high-quality rack will run about $750+, but for most people, a decent one can last for years, and unless you plan on putting over 500 lbs. on the pins any time soon, just about any rack will fit your needs so long as it fits in the place you plan to use it!

I would do front squats and overhead squats.

How I LOVE overheard squats

I'm still trying to be able to do them.

So far just using a broom stick.

Still very difficult, the "bar" keeps coming forward