Best Plant Based Protein?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to find it from a scientific source, only from websites selling hemp or just general health websites. Here is a snippet anyway:

Out of the whole plant kingdom, hemp seed has the closest nutritional profile to the human plasma, and is the only plant that is made up mostly of the globulin protein Edestin, the backbone of our cells' DNA.

http://shesacancersurvivor.com/health/heal/feeding.html

haha thank you, I was trying to find a way to reference this without just saying I regurgitated it from what I read in The Thrive Diet. This is also mentioned somewhere in Food Revolution as well. I do believe that Brendan referred to it as an AA, but at this point it's just semantics.

HEMP=EDESTIN=GOOD!!!

Pumpkin seeds might be a healthy food and you may even build muscle but most people wouldn't be able to get a cut look using them as a protein source because the fat ratio is too high.

1/4 cup provides 8 grams of protein and 16 grams of fat.

This is true of all (or most) nuts. The fat ratio is too high in relation to the amount of protein. That's why I consider them a fat source and not a protein source.

Seems like some here are really being really innovative in focusing more on amino acids than grams of protein for muscle building and I think its great. Just because I go with whats tried and true doesen't mean that someone isn't going to come out with an eating regime that works just as good as the old school methods

me personally i don't get fat eatting alot of fats. I get fat eatting cooked carbs. A year ago i was 155 with about 4 percent body fat just completely shredded and wasn't really tring to at all. All i was doing was eatting all raw and exercising alot. i was getting about 4,000 calories a day at the time.. Then i got lazy and went off the raw food diet and i shot up to 225 within 6 months eatting around the same amount of calories of crap foods.

I don't know what the deal is but my metabalism is so fast when i eating raw, but when i'm eating cooked food it's slower than anyones. Even recently i was around 165 and was eatting around 5,000 calories a day and not exericing at all and didn't gain a pound of fat.

Part of that might be due to the fact that when foods are cooked there are more available calories. If you take a 100 calorie portion of broccoli and eat it raw, you will get a smaller portion of the calories than if you eat it cooked, which breaks down more of the cell walls. This can be mostly avoided of course by blending your food, which breaks down more of the cell walls than you ever could by chewing, no matter how hard you try.

Apparently nutritiondata.com's search function is messed up and if you put in sesame seeds it will bring up results for both "sesame" and "seeds." As a result I came upon these:

Sisymbrium officinalle

AA score: 130

75% carbs

12% fat

13% protein

One cup contains 235 calories and 1208mg calcium.

I tried to search them and there seems to be little information about them beyond that they are from South America and seem to have no name other than the scientific one.

*edit*

And I just realized, though low in fat, they do have an omega 3 to 6 ratio of 2:1.

*edit*

The difficulty in finding information on these has made me quite determined. They were actually imported into America from Eurasia and the common name is "tumble mustard." I was kind of thinking it might be a mustard since it is in the cruciferous family. So I guess it isn't all that much better than yellow mustard (and it is hard to find any anyway). I am sure it is difficult to consume in any significant amount.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked through this thread and noticed no mention of my favorite plant based protein. Though i'm sure most of you who know me, know that I love algae (spirulina and chlorella) but not everyone is aware of that.

Algae is the oldest known food in the history of this earth. Civilizations have lived off it primarily for thousands of years. It provides me with not only a good source of protein (6.66 grams per 10 grams serving), it is extremely nutrient dense as well as cleansing.

The us olympic weightlifting team is pretty big on the stuff as well....

GOT GREEN?

I looked through this thread and noticed no mention of my favorite plant based protein. Though i'm sure most of you who know me, know that I love algae (spirulina and chlorella) but not everyone is aware of that.

I mentioned about algaes in the 2nd page of the thread I think when I checked on NutritionData for amino acids score but there wasn't chlorella or spirulina, only "seaweed, kelp", which is supposed to include all kinds algaes I guess... score of 79

I wrote: "If we can know the amino acids score for hemp and quinoa, perhaps pumpkin seeds is gonna lose it's first place.

But it's weird, I thought peanuts, chlorella, spirulina, and even rice, had all the essential amino acids."

Edit: I just saw the data entered by Troy for Spirulina powder on the other thread about vegan proteins:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13830&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Score ain't 79 but 103, very good Also it's the one with the most vitamins and minerals, lots of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Spirulina, chlorella, wheatgrass, sprouts, sprouted seeds and nuts are the best plant based sources of proteins.

Because these proteins are predigested and highly bioavailable, and their amino acid profile is complete, they are highly absorbable and place little or no stress on the digestive and eliminative processes. All the energy goes into building and health and healing.

See my posts at " RAW FOODS YEAH!" or contact me at [email protected]

I have a document on the amino acid profiles of wheatgrass and algae and the moringa plant which we grow in India. I received this from my friend Balbir Matha who is the president of the TREES FOR LIFE FOUNDATION - http://www.treesforlife.org. The research by food scientists on these superfoods is sound. These are undoubtedly the best sources of vegetable protein. We also use many vegetables and fruits, seeds and nuts in our healing and curative protocols.

I would be happy to send the document to anyone. Just request it by forwarding your email address to me at [email protected].

Viktoras Kulvinskas, co-founder of the world famed Hippocrates Health Institute(http://www.hippocratesinst.org) and I (http://www.viktors.org) have recently planted and cultivated these moringa on the land at the Costa Rican Retreat. I gave seeds for Indian and African moringa to my friends here in Naples, Florida and they are cultivating the trees.

Recently, we were fortunate to send funds through our humanitarian Public Charity to plant the moringa tree in India - themercyfund.org. Earthrise has also established spirulina farms in many parts of the world to feed the poor and the hungry.

In addition to the algae, you can learn more about moringa at http://www.echonet.org. They are a worldwide charitable organization which is assisting in bringing high quality vegetarian superfoods to the poor of the world.

We have advocated the use of these superfoods, along with sprouts, not only for personal health and transformation, but as a solution for world hunger problems. Some of these materials were presented years ago in a lecture to the United Nations Commission on World Hunger. Also, Dr. Ann Wigmore -www.annwigmore.org - presented some of this material before a health committee of the United States Congress. She was a personal friend of President Dwight David Einsenhower.

Excellent blue green algae is available at http://www.simplexityhealth.com.

Recents posts at this Forum including "June is for Juice Feasting" amply demonstrate that algaes are a superior source of protein and can sustain good health and energy and even development of muscle. That has been my personal experience. While I do use algae extensively, I also have used as much as 21 ounces of wheatgrass juice in a day. Both are readily available to me. It's really a trip. Take the magical mystery tour.

I hope this is helpful to all of you. Be well.

GRASS2.jpg.7aec505862e62b677b17f6b5b4c41cfc.jpg

"All flesh is grass." THe Holy Bible

Dear offense84,

Please check and study the references carefully before you openly disparage and try to dussuade others from that which you do not understand. To denigrate an hypothesis before you have studied it properly and experienced and experimented with it yourself has historically been considered by most who are more knowledgeable to be a sign of ignorance and obtuseness.

If you require further information or elucidation of the approaches which we have adopted for years and which are very well established globally, please feel free to contact me.

Edited by Anonymous

Dear offense84,

Please check and study the references carefully before you openly disparage and try to dussuade others from that which you do not understand...

I think offense84 was referring to the more off-topic portions of the post, like the plugs for various organizations. The parts about bioavailability of wheatgrass and sprout proteins and such were relevant, on-topic, and a great contribution to this thread.

Sorry if I was off base. I have always had to defend the principles which I learned from some of the great health teachers of recent years.

No offense intended.

It is quite thrilling for me to see what you have all posted at this thread. Everything you have said is right.

I love pumpkin seeds na have used them for a long time. As my other posts have indicated, we always soak seeds overnight to begin sprouting which enhances bioavailability of nutrients.

Like Zack, I usually make a shake with fruit and agave to mask that bit of "off flavor" that pumpkin seeds seem to have.

Be well.

It is quite thrilling for me to see what you have all posted at this thread. Everything you have said is right.

I love pumpkin seeds na have used them for a long time. As my other posts have indicated, we always soak seeds overnight to begin sprouting which enhances bioavailability of nutrients...

While this might make raw foodists cringe, I think that roasted pumpkin seeds are sooo delicious. It's always fun around Halloween to take all the seeds from the local pumpkins we get and bake them with just a little bit of salt. They always turn out so great!

There are no references at the websites you keep referring to. Being able to create pdf's from text files hardly constitutes as science. That is what's going on at the "references" you're referring to.

There is nothing of value said on these websites, just random stories without base. We've had long and hard discussions about this before at this forum and we've decided that in the raw section anything goes, might it be theories of enzymes or theories of ghosts and dragons.