I am whatever you say I am

robert

I'm not on here as much as I used to be and as I login in the mornings before heading out for the day lately I've been reading a lot about how much Robert Cheeke sucks because of one reason or another.

It used to bother me, but I learned a long time ago that "when your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt." It is so tempting at times to challenge each criticism of my character but it is a waste of time. I know who I am, what I stand for and what impact I've had on the world and I'm OK with who I am at the end of the day. In fact, I'm thrilled to be me. I honestly do consider myself to be one of the top 1% nicest people in the world and live in a way that reflects that.

A funny thing is happening now and has being going on for the past year or even longer. The more well known I get, the more fan mail and praise I get and the more hate mail and complaints I get. I feel like a tabloid magazine topic on a small scale, in the vegan community and it does take a bit of getting used to. I can stumble across websites or be alerted of them to read about how evil and awful this Robert Cheeke guy is and to some degree it hurts, but I can't let it actually bother me on any significant level. The only reason it bothers me a little bit is because I've dedicated my life to kindness, to helping other, and to lifting others up, so when my integrity or character is called into question, it is kind of upsetting. If I were an average person, it wouldn't matter, but I strive to be anything but average and have worked harder than almost anyone I know to be kind and giving because that is how I view each day with opportunity.

Some of you might not believe any of the stuff I write, but I am convinced those who don't are only the people who haven't met me and don't know me. I'm not going to complain, feel down or be sad because you don't like me. I'll find ways to make you enjoy life more, even if you hate me. If hating me more, makes you feel better about your own life, I'll work hard to make sure you're enjoying yourself. Each person is different and thrives in different ways.

I am whatever you say I am. I'm a numbers guy. I've had 10,100 e-mails thanking me for my positive influence on someone's life and about 46 hate mail messages (I'm a numbers guy so I notice things like this and use it as motivation). I've had another 100 or so that aren't hate mail but people who just call me names or question my value system. I know not everyone is happy with me, but I have to go with the numbers, and they say I'm doing something right. But to you, I'm still whatever you say I am. Often a reason we don't like someone (think about celebrities or famous athletes/politicians/athletes) is because they succeed faster than we do and we just flat out don't like it. It's not because of their methods, or actions or style of succeeding, but at it's most basic level, we just don't like it because it is them succeeding not us. It's that simple. I succeed faster than most because of my positive attitude and some can't stand that. Why sit around and criticize someone's success when you could get out there and make a successful life for yourself? Because it takes more effort than most are willing to give. I'll give that effort and then some because I go through life being genuinely happy and that is what makes all the difference.

Some people love me and some people hate me and for one of the first times in my life, I'm not letting either opinion bother me. I'm becoming more well known and that will just continue because of my contributions to different industries, and I'm going to just get more of it. Being a sensitive person, it was tough to read how awful I was from people who don't know me, but that is just part of the make up that some people have, that want to bring others down. I just won't have any of it. I know who Robert Cheeke is and he's had a tremendous positive impact on my life and I thank him for that.

What I would encourage everyone to do is objectively look at yourselves and ask a lot of important questions about your own personal integrity, character and evaluate how you'd like to be perceived and remembered and then live your life accordingly. It's so much more rewarding to achieve at something you are deeply passionate about than it is to complain about other people's success, simply because you're not willing to work that hard to achieve it for yourself.

Strive to be OK with you at the end of the day when it's all said and done. If you're not, make adaptations and resolve to make improvements the next day and each day forward.

It used to bother me to hear the name-calling and I used to love to get the praises, but now I'm just me and I'm really happy with who I am and how I'm contributing to the world. I am whatever you say I am and for the first time, your response doesn't really matter to me. I know who I am. Do you know who you really are?

Just have to say I've met you, and aside from being vegan, and the gym stuff we probably have absolutely nothing in common with one another. But you are a great motivator, a fun person, and very optimistic. In all, much more than jst a decent human. Don't let any of this get you down Robert, it'll all make you stronger!

Edited by hsorlando

No-one is above criticism Rob, no-one is beyond reproach.

We've all got our positive and negative aspects.

I think you are unnecessarily polarising things here. Just because some people don't agree with all that you do and/or the way you go about it, doesn't mean people hate you for it.

Even those who are happy with you and admire you will not back you 100% on everything you do.

It's not a matter of completely opposing or completely supporting someone - you or anyone - as it's never that simple.

You are doing a great job, Robert.

You cannot make everyone happy all the time. While I am not in agreement with the banning of Astrocat, that is just one complaint about something you have done floating in a sea of agreement. You have certain goals for this forum and you are doing what you think is best to achieve them and it has been working for years, so I am sure it is going to continue to work.

I agree with Tarz in that not all the negative feedback you are getting right now is from people who utterly hate you. I think there is just a lot of frustration floating around right now that needs time to dissipate.

I have never met you, but you are obviously a driven, nice and reasonable person. Likely, the naysayers are only going to become more frequent and louder as your fame increases, as it undoubtedly will, so it is fortunate that you are getting to the point where you don't care what people say about you one way or another; any other type of attitude on it would only result in frustration and mental anguish.

In the tradition of the late George Carlin, "Fuck 'em."

I still like you and think youre one of the nicest people Ive come across online. Luckily Ill have the honor of meeting you next month(psst. btw, ill be there from 7/16-7/20). I hope the "hate" mail and negativity you receive just pushes you forward in your training and in your beliefs. I know youre doing good for both the online community and communities around the nation. Keep it up brother!!!

~jimi

PS. if you ever let any of the BS get to you, remember this line: "harden the f*ck up"

Other than being slightly annoying you're alright. I guess.

The post was kinda' long. But it was pretty good. I enjoyed reading it.

I don't have great plans. At the end of the day I just want to be bio-degradable. That would be neat.

Thanks

Robert .... have you been receiving my mail???

Sounds all to familiar .... the more you are out in front the more you are subject to ridicule. Praise and hate mail come with the territory.

As Denise know,s same for me maybe I have a few more hater,s lol.

ROBBIEx 4 week,s out from the Mr Universe

10,000 : 46 - Cool, that's a 99.54% approval rating. You should run for president Robert!

For what it's worth, you have my support to. I think you're doing a great job and living a fine life - a positive example to many. Keep it up.

Hey Robert,

I have never really had the chance to meet you, offline or on, but I thoroughly see your intent and what I do know of you, I thoroughly appreciate. This is true for most of the people I've met on this forum so far as well.

So here's a kudos. Not for being vegan, not for being a nice feller, not for board management nor your neighbor's flip-flops, but for being someone I feel we all can relate with, knowing you care for us as much as we do for you.

Thanks for that warm message in my training blog a while back.

- Endy

Dude I can't believe you get hate mail! I haven't been around very long and I think you're an awesome guy. I wanna be more like you. I've pissed off my share of people because I'll get emotional and say something dumb. I put my foot in my mouth a lot and I really regret it. It's something I need to work on. Being positive isn't something I've been very good at! I lived with negative people for a long time.. I got a lot negative treatment at school while I was growing up.. I get negative treatment here as well.

See, whenever I read one of your posts, it's always positive. Even the negative things are written in a way to make them seem not so bad. You are yourself and you always try to be better. It inspires me to be myself and be as nice and as giving as I can possibly be.

I want to thank you for that inspiration.

Despite the disagreemtents some people might have with you, I don't think they're doing a great job in putting you down. Even though I don't know you in person I think you're an especially awesome guy because of all work you've carried on with while managing to do it really happily.

I don't think that haters should be really be taken into account if that's what they really are. Only constructive criticisms could count as not nice but welcomed messages. Those will come only from the people that care about you and want to help you in doing even better.

Just like you said, you're perfectly fine with yourself and as long as you feel that way there's not much that can put you down.

By the way, I really loved this:

In fact, I'm thrilled to be me.

Can I use it as a signature? (Seriously)

You seem like a very nice person, compassionate and positive. The only criticism(beyond issues re:banning people) I've heard about you is being a rampant self-promoter, perhaps beyond what your accomplishments would dictate. Stay positive but don't get cocky.

No offense meant of course, just shooting from the hip here.

You seem like a very nice person, compassionate and positive. The only criticism(beyond issues re:banning people) I've heard about you is being a rampant self-promoter, perhaps beyond what your accomplishments would dictate. Stay positive but don't get cocky.

No offense meant of course, just shooting from the hip here.

I agree with this.