What's the silliest things you've heard about veganism?

I wanted to know what are some of the craziest rumors and assumptions you have come across from people regarding veganism.

I was talking to a friend who I rarely speak to. I couldn't remember why I don't enjoy having conversations with her and I was quickly reminded. She's shoot everything down that's not "normal". She's extremely conservative in many aspects of her life and I'm the complete opposite. I have friends from all walks of life, but sadly when you come across someone who isn't humble and captivated by the dynamism of the world a conversation can be come very dull. She lives life with a simple mentality, things are fine the way they are and there's no point in changing anything around us or why go outside our traditions and cultures? Why bother? These are some of the things she told me.

"I can't believe you are vegan, your body is hurting inside! It needs nutrients and proteins you can't find on plans or tofu."

"One day you are going to want to have kids and you are going to regret denying your unborn child of essential nutrients."

"You are going to become impotent"

Hahhahaha Zack:)

Dunno about the silliest but one of the most ridiculous things I often hear is:

"How are you getting proteins?" The funny thing is when I'm in top shape and hear that from someone overweight who went to a gym once or twice when he was a teen and who has no idea what an amino acid is:)

"How are you getting proteins?" The funny thing is when I'm in top shape and hear that from someone overweight who went to a gym once or twice when he was a teen and who has no idea what an amino acid is:)

hahaha they STILL ask that when you're in top shape? geeeez. Maybe by then it's actual curiosity and not just incredulity, though.

I had a NUTRITIONIST tell me that the proteins were not the same quality in plant food and that the high calcium absorption from milk is unparalleled. I asked her "What about the fact that our bodies pull calcium from our bones if there isn't enough in our diet to help metabolize the excess amounts of proteins found in animal products like meat and milk?" and she was just like, "What?" and refused to admit that I was right. Never went back to her.....

hahaha they STILL ask that when you're in top shape? geeeez. Maybe by then it's actual curiosity and not just incredulity, though.

I had a NUTRITIONIST tell me that the proteins were not the same quality in plant food and that the high calcium absorption from milk is unparalleled. I asked her "What about the fact that our bodies pull calcium from our bones if there isn't enough in our diet to help metabolize the excess amounts of proteins found in animal products like meat and milk?" and she was just like, "What?" and refused to admit that I was right. Never went back to her.....

Rofl. I would have asked her what brand of cereal she pulled her "degree" out of. Complete with finger quotes.

I think the most ridiculous thing I ever heard that also really pissed me off is that I would be a bad mother if I decided to have kids cuz I'd want them to be vegan. I was told if I had a boy that he would be small and weak and picked on by the other kids.

For the record I was raised on meat and potatoes.. and weak and sickly. I was picked on every single day.

I think the most ridiculous thing I ever heard that also really pissed me off is that I would be a bad mother if I decided to have kids cuz I'd want them to be vegan. I was told if I had a boy that he would be small and weak and picked on by the other kids.

For the record I was raised on meat and potatoes.. and weak and sickly. I was picked on every single day.

I was too. But my 3 boys are big and lean. They have been known to knock the crap out of others when necessary too.

I asked her "What about the fact that our bodies pull calcium from our bones if there isn't enough in our diet to help metabolize the excess amounts of proteins found in animal products like meat and milk?" and she was just like, "What?" and refused to admit that I was right. Never went back to her.....

Because you were not right.

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4554462/protein_Full.jpg

I haven't gotten it that bad, but we have been asked if we'd raise our daughter vegan. Uhm.... why wouldn't we?

I asked her "What about the fact that our bodies pull calcium from our bones if there isn't enough in our diet to help metabolize the excess amounts of proteins found in animal products like meat and milk?" and she was just like, "What?" and refused to admit that I was right. Never went back to her.....

That's what the studies provided by notmilk.com cited. I knew that stuff better back then, though.

Edit: Found the exact quote.

"Dietary protein increases production of acid in the blood which can be neutralized by calcium mobilized from the skeleton."

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1995; 61 (4)

That's what the studies provided by notmilk.com cited. I knew that stuff better back then, though.

Well notmilk.com is a propaganda website. I don't know how accurate their "studies" are. Usually the body has a hard time absorbing and utilizing calcium if there is too much phosphorous in the body. They counter each other.

Well notmilk.com is a propaganda website. I don't know how accurate their "studies" are. Usually the body has a hard time absorbing and utilizing calcium if there is too much phosphorous in the body. They counter each other.

Interesting. I guess I would have to find the actual study itself to verify the claim rather than just read the quote from it. Shouldn't be too hard to prove or disprove since they have the exact study listed.

Off to teh google!!

"Dietary protein increases production of acid in the blood which can be neutralized by calcium mobilized from the skeleton."

Notmilk.com is hardly a credible source. Go get an anatomy textbook or something.

Calcium is used for other things (controlling nerve function, muscle contractions, blood clotting etc...) in the body which is why calcium is pulled from the bones if the blood concentration is too low. Maintaining the pH of the blood is done by pH buffers called carbonic acid (if the blood is too alkaline), and bicarbonate (if too acidic). Not calcium.

Notmilk.com is hardly a credible source. Go get an anatomy textbook or something.

Calcium is used for other things (controlling nerve function, muscle contractions, blood clotting etc...) in the body which is why calcium is pulled from the bones if the blood concentration is too low. Maintaining the pH of the blood is done by pH buffers called carbonic acid (if the blood is too alkaline), and bicarbonate (if too acidic). Not calcium.

What makes it such an incredible source? I doubt anatomy will help me, physiology or nutrition would probably be better. I'll go look for one upstairs in the morning.

Even if my mechanics are wrong...the evidence from many studies is out there that proves an existing correlation between the increased consumption of animal protein and higher rates of bone loss. I'd quote some for you, but it looks like I'll have to dig it up from a real book, right?

Alejandro, sorry for hijacking your thread....

I'll get it back on topic here.

"WHAT ABOUT THE PLANTS? THEY HAVE FEELINGS TOO!"

This is the first time anyone in the history of forums, at least of forums I am a member of. That they have acknowledge the highjacking of a thread! haha. No problem, I don't think you did it. Its ok. Lets all be nice now.

I'm conflicted with the feelings things. Animals feelings are not on my top 3 or even 5? of why I decided to go vegan. I'm not heartless but just being honest.

Meat eaters have no creativity in their bodies. They are under satanic control.

If you don't give them a word that your human mind verbalizes, they will not speak it themselves.

It is because they are AUTONOMATONS

Try explaining THAT to a person whose brain is made of animal fat.

Edited by awaken375

Propaganda site or not, an article in AJCN would be reputable. Unfortunately I can't find this in 1995 Vol 61 Issue 4. There's an article about calcium in post-partum women and something about HIV infected people, but nothing about dietary protein and skeletal calcium from what I can see.

There are other articles in AJCN that support that, however. For example:

Calcium utilization: effect of varying level and source of dietary protein

Michael B Zemel, PhD

ABSTRACT Dietary protein exerts a significant calciuretic effect. A twofold increase in

protein at constant levels ofcalcium and phosphorus intakes causes a 50% increase in urinary

calcium. The protein-induced hypercalciuria results primarily from decreased fractional renal

tubular reabsorption of calcium associated with catabolism of excess sulfur amino acids and

the resultant urinary excretion ofacid and sulfate. A protein-induced elevation in gbomerular

filtration rate also contributes to the Calciuresis. Dietary phosphorus also modifies the calciuretic

effect of proteins, as it increases renal tubular reabsorption of calcium and thereby exerts a

hypocalciuretic effect. Consequently, a soy-based diet was able to maintain calcium balance at

a calcium intake of 457 mg/day in spite of a protein intake of 90 g, presumably due to the

lower level of sulfur amino acids in the soy diet and to the 1450 mg phosphorus which accompanied

the soy protein. Am J C/in Nutr 1988;48:880-3.

There are other articles in AJCN that support that, however. For example:
Calcium utilization: effect of varying level and source of dietary protein

Michael B Zemel, PhD

ABSTRACT Dietary protein exerts a significant calciuretic effect. A twofold increase in

protein at constant levels ofcalcium and phosphorus intakes causes a 50% increase in urinary

calcium. The protein-induced hypercalciuria results primarily from decreased fractional renal

tubular reabsorption of calcium associated with catabolism of excess sulfur amino acids and

the resultant urinary excretion ofacid and sulfate. A protein-induced elevation in gbomerular

filtration rate also contributes to the Calciuresis. Dietary phosphorus also modifies the calciuretic

effect of proteins, as it increases renal tubular reabsorption of calcium and thereby exerts a

hypocalciuretic effect. Consequently, a soy-based diet was able to maintain calcium balance at

a calcium intake of 457 mg/day in spite of a protein intake of 90 g, presumably due to the

lower level of sulfur amino acids in the soy diet and to the 1450 mg phosphorus which accompanied

the soy protein. Am J C/in Nutr 1988;48:880-3.

For those that don't speak medical jargon, the article states that dietary protein causes more calcium to be excreted in the urine. Basically it says that acidic proteins (from meat and milk) are hard on the kidneys, resulting in more calcium being urinated out. Then it states that soy based diets are better for maintaining calcium balance because soy is an alkaline protein source.

The thing I get is where do I get my protein. I think they ask out of curiosity not to belittle my diet. Most people do not think about food that way. They do not ask what does the body need and why.

I guess the worst thing I ever heard was that when I went vegan I would be unable to continue competitive bodybuilding. That one was wrong. Of course I said that years ago and used it as a justification for a meat based diet. It wasn't until I did some research and serious experimentation with my own body that I decided that was not the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...