Ultimate Fighting

has anyone been watching the Primetime show on spike. they are really trying to hype up this fight with all the trash talk. i know these guys are friends and really respect each other, so the trash talk is pointless to me. i know when it's over, they will both congradulate an praise each other. anyways, i am so freaking excited for tonight's fight. been waiting on this one a long time.

i'm disappointed they put Jon Fitch in an untelevised match. but hopefully they've have time to air it sometime during the PPV. i am looking forward to seeing Thiago Silva vs Lyoto Machida, and Clay Guida vs Nate Diaz! i'm also curious to see the return of Karo Parysian.

the main event is so close to call for me. honestly, i think BJ Penn won the first fight. i would give the edge to him, but GSP has become much more well rounded since then. but then again, so has Penn. if i had to choose, i would like to see Penn make history as the first in the UFC to have belts in two different weight divisions at the same time. GSP's game is so complete though. i am a fan of both these guys, so i am really just looking forward to seeing two of the best athletes this sport has ever seen go up against each other.

forget all the hype that surrounded brock lesnar. despite what they try to shove down our throats, THIS is the biggest fight in the UFC.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. I was VERY disappointed with the main event. My favorite fight was definitely the Jon Jones fight. He's got a bright future.

lemmi guess, penn fan? lol ..... gsp owned, you're just grumpy about that haha .... i thought it was great (yes gsp fan) i liked watching him slowly wear him out, then get those shots that penn just wasn't expecting, after that, it all fell apart for the guy. i actually felt a little bad for the guy. after the 3rd round i bet he was crying lol

wow. I was VERY disappointed with the main event. My favorite fight was definitely the Jon Jones fight. He's got a bright future.

lemmi guess, penn fan? lol ..... gsp owned, you're just grumpy about that haha .... i thought it was great (yes gsp fan) i liked watching him slowly wear him out, then get those shots that penn just wasn't expecting, after that, it all fell apart for the guy. i actually felt a little bad for the guy. after the 3rd round i bet he was crying lol

I like them both, but I just expected more outta Penn. I'm always disappointed when title fights are one sided beatdowns. But good for GSP.

GSP! I expected a little more out of BJ Penn too - I was especially surprised how easily GSP passed BJ's guard and just dominated him on the ground. Still a good fight. I didn't think BJ was really going to live up the hype, he's a great lightweight, maybe the greatest right now, but 170 is a stretch for him. Thiago Alves will be a better test for GSP for sure (if he can make weight).

I was even more surprised how quickly Machida took out Silva. I thought that one was going to be a 3 round evasion game from Machida. That'll help Machida's image a little...though I've always liked his style.

The other fights weren't bad - Jon Jones looked great for his experience level and age, there's a future there. I thought Karo was handed that win, it looked to me like the Dong Hyon Kim won that fight. And I'm getting really tired of watching Guida win fights by clinging to guys' backs for 3 rounds. I like his walk-in, I like his energy, but as soon as the fight gets past the first half of the first round...zzzzzzz. Lame. Diaz looked really frustrated.

Looking forward to Fightnight next weekend - Mac's back!

the two main event fights were much more one sided than expected. Machida, of all people, gets the KO of the night. that is the most dominating he has been, and against a very tough opponent. and he should be in line for a title shot soon.

Jones vs Bonnar was a good fight, and a star was born in "Bones" Jones. only 21?! wtf? he has great things to look forward to.

GSP executed his game plan perfectly, dominated Penn as no one has before. it was interesting to hear GSP explaining that the takedowns were to get the blood to rush to BJ's shoulders to neutralize his striking ablility. makes you realize how much strategy goes into MMA, and it's not just people punching each other in the face. i didn't put much weight on the trash talk, it was all just to hype the fight.

i am looking forward to UFN this week. Mac Danzig, Cain Velaszquez, and Anthony Johnson all fighting! and they are free on spike, which means i don't have to go to a sports bar and deal with meatheads yelling "kill him! punch him in the face!" and booing everytime the fight goes to the ground.

oh snap, have you guys heard the "Greasegate" scandal? keep in mind it's NOT me saying it, so don't flame me. i had heard the allegations before, but didn't give them any weight as i don't think it would have changed the outcome of the fight, but this is getting a lot more attention than i thought.

GSP and his corner are being "accused of improperly applying Vaseline to Georges St. Pierre's back at the least, and being called cheaters who were intentionally "greasing him up" to nullify Penn's jiu-jitsu game at the other end of the spectrum."

[MMA Weekly]

It's pretty clear by watching the video that Nurse had some Vaseline on his hands when he rubbed St. Pierre's shoulders, back and chest between the first and second rounds.

Valentino says they warned the Nevada State Athletic Commission before the fight alleging that St. Pierre did it before their meeting in 2006 and that Matt Serra's camp claimed the same thing happened in Serra's second fight against GSP.

[Yahoo]

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer on Monday confirmed improprieties had occurred in the champion’s corner after the first and second rounds.

I told them I was disappointed and that they may have tainted Mr. St. Pierre’s victory,” he said. “I told them if it happens again, it will probably be the last time they work a corner in Nevada."

[Sherdog]

these are pretty serious allegations. i'd hate to think this would tarnish GSP's victory and give MMA in general a bad name. i can't believe it's gotten this big so fast. i hope it blows over soon.

you guys think they have a case?

I was even more surprised how quickly Machida took out Silva.

literally, i went lol

And I'm getting really tired of watching Guida win fights by clinging to guys' backs for 3 rounds. I like his walk-in, I like his energy, but as soon as the fight gets past the first half of the first round...zzzzzzz. Lame. Diaz looked really frustrated.

i like guida, but damn was that fight a borefest ...... enough hugging, punch a little?

Looking forward to Fightnight next weekend - Mac's back!

so excited to see him fight again

i would still put Fedor on the top pound for pound list too.

well, he's done it!

BJ Penn Files Request for NSAC Investigation

“Mr. Penn’s most critical offensive and defensive strategies, his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, were rendered useless as he was unable to effectively control [st. Pierre] and engage his submission techniques due to Mr. Penn’s legs and arms slipping out of the attempted holds/locks and [st. Pierre’s] ability to readily slip out of the holds/locks due to the highly slippery surfaces on [st. Pierre’s] body,” wrote Penn’s attorney, Raffi A. Nahabedian.

"(NSAC Executive Director) Keith Kizer said “a review” of the occurrences in St. Pierre’s corner that night is already well underway... he has already obtained videotape of the French Canadian’s corner breaks to look over."

GSP, as usual, remains pretty classy during the whole thing.

“It’s disrespectful, but B.J. is a winner,” St. Pierre said. “I understand a winner’s mentality. A winner’s mentality always tries to understand the reason why he lost. In B.J.’s case, he doesn’t do it in a good way. I understand that he tries to understand why he lost, but what he should’ve done instead of looking at things he doesn’t control he should’ve looked at himself in the mirror and asked himself what he should’ve done better to be more well-prepared for that fight to be able to beat Georges St. Pierre instead of looking at me and try to find excuses… B.J. right now is doing it all wrong and he’s not going to become a better fighter if he keeps acting like this.”

[SOURCE]

so basically, the question being asked is:

Did this...

http://free-zg.t-com.hr/bhz/mma/penn_vs_gsp/greasing1.gif

http://free-zg.t-com.hr/bhz/mma/penn_vs_gsp/greasing2.gif http://free-zg.t-com.hr/bhz/mma/penn_vs_gsp/greasing3.gif

Lead to this?

http://free-zg.t-com.hr/bhz/mma/penn_vs_gsp/slip5.gif http://free-zg.t-com.hr/bhz/mma/penn_vs_gsp/slip3.gif

we'll just have to wait to see what becomes of this mess.

well there are two things here that I am interested in .

1. Is peter jackson effected? All I see is the other guy rubbing down GSP. Did the same guy work GSP on the Serra rematch? Does this mean peter jackson will be also banned from fighters corners (is jackson repsonsible for that actions of his employee?)? Did the guy even know that it was still on his hand?

2. Did GSP know or could he even feel if it were there during the passion of the fight?

i think you meant to say Greg Jackson, the trainer. Peter Jackson directed Lord of the Rings, lol. but i know what you meant. i suppose it's possible GSP did not realize what was happening. i would say Jackson, more than anybody should be held accountable. he's the head trainer, and i don't believe that anything goes on in his corner without him knowing about it. and yes, they are the ones that worked the Matt Serra fight. interesting enough, in addition to Matt Serra, 2 other of GSP's former opponents have come forward with similiar allegations.

Jason "Mayhem" Miller reposted this article he did for FIGHT! magazine.

While locked in my tight guard, I noticed that for some reason I was have trouble keeping my opponent's head down. I practiced shirtless with my great training partners, and never had this much trouble keeping a guy from punching me. Was this guy uber strong or something? Not exactly. After a couple more stiff elbows to my grillpiece, I felt the familiar slick that I would get every day at kickboxing practice on my nose and eyes, only it was on my opponents neck, now up 2 rounds, Vaseline![SOURCE]

Matt Hughes had a similiar statement:

I’m not the only one who has said that GSP felt greasy during a fight. I know Matt Serra has mentioned it and, even in their first fight, I think BJ said something. I’m not saying GSP did something wrong and I’m not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy. [SOURCE]

if you watch the UFC 94 blog., at about 9mins 10secs, right after the fight ends, Chuck Liddell talking to Dana White about something. then he talks to Frank Mir and makes a rubbing motion on his back, saying that GSP was greasing. Frank Mir just nods and says "I know". after that, at 9min 50 secs, Dana White talks to David Loiseau and Rashad Evans, and you can clearly hear him say "you know george is in trouble. the commission caught them rubbing vaseline all over his back"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2PmSss_h4

so it's seems pretty established that there was some vaseline on GSP at some point during the fight. the questions that need to be answered are:

1. was it intentional? did they premeditate this move to give GSP an advantage?

2. was the amount applied enough to change the outcome of the fight?

Here is an interesting tidbit from the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission...

Kizer, sitting at the commission table cageside, entered the cage after the second round after he saw a cornerman put Vaseline on the Canadian's face and then touch his back in a "weird breathing thing for Mr. St. Pierre."

Kizer then asked the GSP corner to wipe down the fighter.

"It wasn't like it was an excessive amount of Vaseline but it did appear that there was still some Vaseline on him."

The fighter was wiped down and the commission ordered the same thing after the third round "just to play it safe."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5g038UYJPxcksD43zcN1ZGdnIObQw

While he goes on to state concerns that this taints GSP's victory, it also establishes that the amount was small and possibly accidental, and GSP was wiped down. Further, if Kizer thought that this would potentially change the outcome of the fight, why didn't he take further steps to remove the vaseline? The ref also checks fighters before the next round starts.

On the other hand, that final video posted above makes GSP look pretty greasy.

But I still think this kind of smells like some sore loser stuff... guys are sweaty and slippery during a fight. Some guys sweat a lot more than others (I'm one of those). Maybe GSP is just a sweaty dude.

I like GSP a lot. I don't want to believe this but I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.

But I agree damdaman its just a lot of a sore loser.

When I was playing basketball in high school, hell, even now on the street courts, there are people out their who are so sweaty and slippery you think they took a bath in vaseline. It's part of sports and you learn to deal with it.

But if it really happened, not accidently, but knowingly by GSP, I will lose all respect for him as a fighter.

ronnie wrote;

i think you meant to say Greg Jackson, the trainer. Peter Jackson directed Lord of the Rings, lol.

Yeah his brother did a great job on those movies.

yes, and i have it on good authority that Peter Jackson is definitely banned from GSP's corner. unless he's filming it for an epic movie.

i noticed something. all the fighters who are saying that GSP greased, none of them are saying the outcome of the fight would have been different. so it like their saying the they are using vaseline to get an advantage that in the end, GSP didn't really need.

OH SNAP!

GSP STATEMENT OFFERS REMATCH; PENN ACCEPTS

GSP: "Of course it’s up to the UFC, but I would be happy to offer B.J. a second rematch," said St. Pierre. "I am confident the outcome will be the same."

BJ Penn: Being able to apply your submissions and sweeps or just being able to hold on to your opponent to defend yourself from being hit is absolutely critical! ... I hereby accept George St. Pierre and Greg Jackson’s challenge for a fight in the summer 2009. Lets call Dana now and set it up."

this is all getting so crazy. of course, this is just the fighters talking, not official. i don't know if the UFC would give Penn another rematch. but they gave Rampage Jackson a 3rd rematch after he lost to Wanderlie twice. and Rampage lost much worse than Penn did. so who know in the crazy world of MMA what will become of all this.

Edited by ronnie kray

All this stuff has left me with a weird feeling about this fight. I don't even care to see a rematch. I think GSP and BJ should both just get on with the fights we really want to see now: GSP vs. Alves and Penn vs. Kenflo.

For the record I think there is something to the complaints against GSP's corner, a lot of people noticed it. That said, I don't think it changed the outcome of the fight. But no one really knows at this point. It's a mess.

taking a break from the "greasegate" scandal, this news i just heard is crazy. for UFC 97 in Canada, the Quebec Athletic Commission is considering changing the rules to "disallowing elbow and knee strikes, requiring the use of a smaller cage than the UFC Octagon, and possibly forcing the referee to stop the bout if a fighter is knocked down from standing due to a strike in order to check and see if the fighter is able to continue". [SOURCE]

WTF?! that's not MMA. Anderson Silva is fighting at that PPV. can you imagine telling him he can't use his knees or elbows? and what's this about a standing 8 count if a fighter gets knocked down?! so the fight will never go to the ground? what about BJJ and wrestling based fighters who are trying to get the fight to the ground? i don't think it's gonna stand, but it's crazy that they're even suggesting it. and if they do change the rules, what's gonna happen? will they cancel it? move it to a new location? there's gonna be a lot of pissed off ticketholders if that happens.

If the Quebec Athletic Commission enforces their rules, they will be making a huge mistake.

It looks as though their knockdown rule is just for knockdowns by strikes, which just adds a bunch of complexity to the ref's job as he now has to decide what actually knocked the fighter down. What if it's a combination of strikes and a takedown? Let's just hope the UFC can talk them out of it, or wave a bunch of $$ in their faces. Something, because I don't wanna see an elbowless, kneeless Anderson Silva.

I think Diego will wreck Joe. Joe has seemed more of a gatekeeper as of late.

and while I'm interested in Sonnen Maia, I think Maia will plow through him too.

I also wanna see how Brian Cobb handles his first fight in a big show, and see if Dos Santos is more than hype.

maybe i'm alone in this, but a part of me enjoyed seeing Koscheck getting KO'd just a little bit. he was out, and i can't believe he has the nerve to say it was stopped early. the ref saved his ass from getting his face smashed in.

Demian Maia was very impressive in his first match against a top 10 opponent. as much as anyone else in the division, he deserves a title shot, though i think they will give him one more fight before he goes against Anderson Silva.

there was much more fights in this free event than most PPV's, because most ending early by KO or submission. they showed 9 fights, only one went to decision. and even that decision was not boring, it was very action packed thru all 3 rds. overall, a great night of fights, better than some events that you have to pay for.

maybe i'm alone in this, but a part of me enjoyed seeing Koscheck getting KO'd just a little bit. he was out, and i can't believe he has the nerve to say it was stopped early. the ref saved his ass from getting his face smashed in.

Demian Maia was very impressive in his first match against a top 10 opponent. as much as anyone else in the division, he deserves a title shot, though i think they will give him one more fight before he goes against Anderson Silva.

there was much more fights in this free event than most PPV's, because most ending early by KO or submission. they showed 9 fights, only one went to decision. and even that decision was not boring, it was very action packed thru all 3 rds. overall, a great night of fights, better than some events that you have to pay for.

you're not alone. I hate Koscheck haha and that stoppage was not at all early.

I don't know if I'd call Chael top 10, but he handled him very well. That transition was beautiful.