I'll eat it if it died...

CollegeB

So this guy i work with is having a get together at his place, he's being accomodating and grilling up some vegan food for me. I am very amazed that lots of people know what a vegan is or have just heard the term since I had no clue only a few years ago...Anyhow we were in the office today and some gal came in, he invited her to the get together and pointed out I was vegan and asked what she'd like to eat. She then said anything that has died. then said to me "sorry i'm the other end" or something along those lines. I was pretty much in shock someone would say something like that so I didnt have must of any response. Now im left wondering why would someone say something such as they only want to eat what has died, and then appologize. It also has me wondering do that many people actually not realize what they eat was once something that was breathing just like we are? This gal clearly had that realization, I wonder how common it is.

When people say something like that to me I usually come back with something super offensive and make fun of them for being a piece of shit.

I really think everyone who is not vegan should watch the Meet You Meat video and see the horror that goes on in slaughter houses.

she'll eat anything that died?! ... how about your late uncle dave? she must read the obituaries often. when she's driving along and passes by roadkill, she stops and picks it up so she can cook it up for dinner? or maybe her pet puppy that passed away last summer? why bother burying it when you can throw that dog on the grill.

"that's ing!" they'll say. well, she did said anything that died. what is the huge difference between eating a dead dog, cat, or human, and eating a dead pig, cow, or bird.

i always think of these comebacks hours afterwards.

I love when people find out Im vegan and they say that they love animals too, but could never give up eating meat.

Like when they say:

" Its cool that you're vegan but I could never do it. I love meat too much. But I really do love animals. Do you love animals as much as I do?"

I then respond with "Yeh I love em so much, I dont eat em"

that usually gets them thinking.

I think some people like that(not all of them) are entertained by the idea. When I was a kid I'm sure some of my friends would have laughed watching the "Meet Your Meat" video...its sick but alot more people are like that than you think

I just remembered an incident about 18 years ago, when I was at a party with a bunch of grad students in my department. One of my office mates brought her husband, whom I'd never met, and introduced us.

He said something like "Oh, so your the vegetarian?" like he'd just been introduced to a child molester. Then he proceeded to make some crack about hunting or whatever: it was a while ago, and something quite forgetablle, but I won't forget the stupidity of it, or the way he acted like he had to defend himself against me, as if just the fact I was veg*n was a threat to him.

And isn't it nice to be reduced to being "the veg*n"? As if that's all one is (even though it is an important part of who we are, I think non-veg*ns take it as a way to diminish us, instead of seeing it as something that makes us more...more compassionate, more reasoned...)

When someone says something like that too me I then go into how fit they are...it rare that someone more fit than I am says that so its a good wakeup call for many people...even if it doesn't make them turn vegan they can atleast say they've met a fit vegan whenever they get in a conversation with anti vegan morons

There is a bbq event in this podunk town called "Kill it and Grill it" Basically, you bring the meat and the event provides the supplies and trimmings. I just can't believe how violent the title is and the fact that it doesn't turn more people off on the event. Not to mention, if there was any chance of a veg*n going and grilling some tofu or what have you, the title pretty much excludes a copacetic veg*n-omni event.

I've lost the freshmen 15. (well, 14, but who's counting?)

I'm also known as "Vegan Andrew"(lots of Andrew's in the Gaming/Anime club) and more recently "Vegan Thunder".

Most people i've met respect me and just say the like the taste of meat. I've totally disproven the fact that you need meat to gain muscle to the guys i lift with and they've also backed into the taste thing. If that's all they have, fine. Makes me feel like a friggin genius.

This is something that Gary Francione said...it has a few adjustments made by me, but it certainly is his in spirit.

Do you disagree with the principle that it’s wrong to inflict unnecessary suffering on animals? If this principle means anything, if necessity means anything, it means that pleasure, convenience and/or amusement are not sufficient justifications for imposing pain. Nobody maintains that you need meat for living. Bottom line is that the best justification we have for eating animals is they taste good. Pain, suffering, fear, and death are done all just for taste. If you take the principle of unnecessary suffering seriously as moral behavior, to be moral you should stop eating meat. If you don’t then you are just talking, and are not serious about morality.

When someone says something like that too me I then go into how fit they are...it rare that someone more fit than I am says that so its a good wakeup call for many people...

i do this alot too. when someone starts to rag on me for being vegan, they are usually way out of shape. and i take a little jab at them.

for example, the other day me and some friends were looking for a place to eat. one friend suggested chili's. then he said "but the vegan won't have anything to eat". another friend, who's waistline has been growing quite a bit lately, said in his sarcastic and condescending way "don't worry, i think they sell some tofu burgers for him to grill. you might want to think about getting that" *snicker, chuckle*. i then said, "yes, and they also sell DIET SODA, you might want to think about getting that." jokes not so funny anymore. we didn't end up going anywhere.

So this guy i work with is having a get together at his place, he's being accomodating and grilling up some vegan food for me. I am very amazed that lots of people know what a vegan is or have just heard the term since I had no clue only a few years ago...Anyhow we were in the office today and some gal came in, he invited her to the get together and pointed out I was vegan and asked what she'd like to eat. She then said anything that has died. then said to me "sorry i'm the other end" or something along those lines. I was pretty much in shock someone would say something like that so I didnt have must of any response. Now im left wondering why would someone say something such as they only want to eat what has died, and then appologize. It also has me wondering do that many people actually not realize what they eat was once something that was breathing just like we are? This gal clearly had that realization, I wonder how common it is.

I think it's like 'vegan huh?' and then they feel like they just have to make some kind of comment. Very childish. I dunno what goes on in people's heads, it is scary

I love the fact that I've been incredibly strong as well as having incredible endurance(not at the same time though)...lots of people see me and see that I'm vegan and very fit but then they say you can't really get strong on that diet though...then I pull out my drivers license and tell them how strong and big I was

As for the freshman 15 I never got that but I did get the vacation 15 many times this summer...I think I gained and lost 15+lbs atleast 5 times from early August to now.

The only explanation I think is that one of the most routine stresses that people encounter are choices. You have to think about them, weigh outcomes, costs etc. and make a choice. Choices are basically hard to make and cause stress.

If the overwhelmingly majority of people basically eat the same, then the choice of what you eat is never really raised. Coming into contact with a vegetarian changes that. The vegetarian is showing that diet is a choice. That choice becomes stress and depending on amount of stress (most probably do not really care, so low to no stress is presented) or that particular person's personality (some have worse time with stress than others), you get comments such as that lady made.