Who do you live with?

Michelle

Who do you live with?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I live with my two kids, who are both omnivores who eat vegan/vegetarian with me at home. They are teenagers and old enough to make their own decisions about what to eat or what not to eat. Had I made the lifestyle change ten years earlier, I would've raised them vegan, but it didn't happen that way. They enthusiastically support my choice to be vegan, and I respect the fact that they haven't chosen that path. (Yet? Maybe someday...)

So, clashes are few and infrequent. And sort of funny - one day my son came home from school hungry and was griping for a while about how "there's nothing to eat in this house but beans and fruit, and fruit and beans!!!! " before finally settling on a burrito or something. But, that's about the extent of it.

We have had a "no meat prepared in the house" rule for a year now (because I'm the mom and can do that) but it was actually about six months before the issue came up for anyone to realize it. Even when I was omni, I rarely served meat at home (because I hated cooking it!) so it wasn't that big of an adjustment. They both seem happy enough with my vegan cooking, especially since I've either found vegan versions of or veganized many of our old favorites.

I'm the only veg in my house. Might be the only one in town, for that matter.

Since I cook all my own food, our kitchen is pretty peaceful. Unless someone ate something that was mine. As long as they don't eat my food or cook something near my food that could accidently get in mine, everything's good.

A vegan apartment community? That's cool! My wife and I are vegan, but our dog is an omni still. He might go vegan someday. I still put vegan household on the poll. We also have a no meat/no dairy rule in our house and we enforced it over the holidays with all the family and friends that visited - and none of them seemed to mind.

i'm still a minor, and i live with my parents.. it sucks, cuz i'm the only vegan, i can't wait to move out, live in apartment, and stuff my kitchen with all kinds of vegan food.. without having to smell that greasy smell of meat.. ( it freaks me out )

i'm still a minor, and i live with my parents.. it sucks, cuz i'm the only vegan, i can't wait to move out, live in apartment, and stuff my kitchen with all kinds of vegan food.. without having to smell that greasy smell of meat.. ( it freaks me out )

Yea but then you have to pay for all of that food which isn't as fun as it seems. Believe me.

My mom is apparently officially going vegan now.

2vs2 now. My brother bought whey protein because some idiot at his school told him it was the best. Fucktards.

I live with my girlfriend Jamie for the time being who is vegan and I will be moving in with another vegan friend of mine in a week or two...a bit closer to campus

Yea but then you have to pay for all of that food which isn't as fun as it seems. Believe me.

2vs2 now. My brother bought whey protein because some idiot at his school told him it was the best. Fucktards.

i know, nothing is free, anyways, at least i will be free to buy all those things i like and i won't have to smell animal products in the kitchen..

that's good enough for me..

i know, nothing is free, anyways, at least i will be free to buy all those things i like and i won't have to smell animal products in the kitchen..

that's good enough for me..

I agree with you Glenn! The cost associated with being away from unsupportive family is menial comparatively.

I live with michaelhobson in our 100% vegan house with our three little girls who always eat vegan with us and have been veg*n since birth!

I've got a vegetarian roomie for the last year and a half. He's been veggie for like 12 years or 13 or something. We get along pretty darn fantastically. I won't wash dishes with dairy or egg and we divide our dishes a bit just because we both came into the situation with them but he's good about cleaning up after himself. He's said if he had a vegetarian wife he'd probably go vegan because she'd be supportive (or something like that). He's also pretty antifur and leather etc.

I lived with my parents before that for a year or so and they're omni. My mom told me a year or so ago that she was vegetarian in college for a while and even when she met my dad. I'm not really clear what happened to that or why it took me being vegan for 4 years to find that out My bro's a pretty heavy carnivore but my sister went vegetarian (for health reasons she says) so that was cool. And my mom is getting better about telling me what stuff is vegan and what isn't that she's cooked. We had the conversation a few months ago about how even if there's one egg in a dozen-plus cookies it still counts as having egg in them.

Finally I lived with an exgf that went vegetarian when I went vegan. Same rule as with my roommate about eggs and dairy on dishes.

I live with my wife and 2 kids who are all vegetarian.

I suspect that my daughter will go vegan in the future but only she will know when she's ready.

There's really no conflicts as I'm not grossed out by anything they eat.

Family get togethers are tough though...... I'm lobbying for a veg christmas next year.

• 3 weeks later...

I am very lucky to live with my partner, who is such a great vegan cook, he could totally open a restaurant. We have omnis over all the time who don't even know they've had a vegan meal until we tell them.

When we met, he was a total carnivore, and had been trained by a French chef. At the time, I was vegetarian, and after cooking vegetarian food for me all the time, he made the switch himself. When I told him I wanted to start making the transition to veganism, he was frustrated to say the least, but eventually made the switch himself.

I think the challenge of learning to cook with vegan ingredients has made him an even better cook! I can't tell you how many times I've said something like, "I miss Egg McMuffins," and he whips them up the next morning.

Wow, this was a longer post than I intended. You can tell I'm bored out of my mind at work right now!

• 2 weeks later...

I live with an omni who will eat veggies more often then I expect. He loves just about everything I make UNLESS he knows its meant to be healthy. So I have to trick him. The down side is that he still buys processed crap, sandwich meat, and cheese that still tempts me. Makes it hard to stay true to my raw food goals. Either way, at this point, any nutritional progress of his health is directly due to my influence. I pray for the day he throws out the frozen healthy choice dinners for good and picks up a knife to chop some veggies and make something healthy and fresh for himself when I'm not around.