G'morning and hello to everyone

Purdatory

Hello to everyone,

My name is Matt Purdy, I'm currently a nursing student at McMaster University. I've been vegan for close to a month now and loving it! Originally, the biggest worry about going vegan was that I might not be able to attain the fitness level of a body builder but thankfully this forum and website have pointed me in the right direction.

For most of my life I've been an over weight person, at one point I was pushing 250lbs with a 40 waist size. It got to the point where I either had to change my life and eating habits around or suffer permanent health risks. My mother had been a vegetarian for several years and about two years ago she choose to go vegan; I guess it was at this point that I started to change my own eating habits for the better. I slowly started by weaning myself off meats and implementing a daily exercise regime. Recently after reading "The Thrive Diet", I decided to go full out and go with the vegan lifestyle, I couldn't have been happier with this decision. As of today I currently weigh 165lbs and have a size 32 waist. I've never felt better and I'm looking forward to any help with recipes and exercise routines that this forum can provide.

-Purdy

Hah, no, I didn't lose all that weight in a month. It took about 2 years to loose. The most drastic change probably happened in the past few months where I really started to take my fitness a little more seriously. Since April I've dropped from 180 to about where I am currently, I've also managed to sculpt a wee bit during that time

Welcome to our online community! Awesome that you read The Thrive Diet as well. It's a great book for anyone interested in having better health.

Thanks for the great intro. I think you'll have a great time here. We have lots of new vegans and those who have been vegan for 10-20 years.

Congratulations on your weight loss and improved health. That is inspiring.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Hey Matt, Welcome!

What an inspiring story about your lifestyle change. Thanks for sharing!

I grew up in Hamilton and still have family there. Your photos are wonderful and I can recognize familiar views (Niagara Escarpment).

As for local natural bodybuilding organizations, check out the IDFA at:

www.canadian-classic.com

I will compete with them next year.