L-Glutamine

xbillyx

they say that you dont get a flu so often if you take l-glutamin...

Eating a vegan diet does that too, I haven't been sick in about 5 years now.

good for you!

myself i had lots of problems but they were related to asthma... but ive noticed that i dont get sore places that much when i take l-glutamine

sorry my english....

• 4 weeks later...
As I understand peptides bind amino acids to form protein. This will be the truth until DV comes in here and corrects me!

Haha. I am done correcting or suggesting anything on this forum! I have been put in my place. My conventional, professional opinion is patoohey! However, I could not resist just this once. Even those molecular biologists can't seem to agree anymore. See how progress changes everything? Sheesh. So, you're right Offense!

From molecularstation.com:

Size of Peptides - What is a Peptide and What is a Protein?

Proteins are polypeptide molecules (or consist of multiple polypeptide subunits). The distinction is that peptides are short and polypeptides proteins are long. There are several different conventions to determine these, all of which have flaws.

One convention is that those peptide chains that are short enough to be made synthetically from the constituent amino acids are called peptides rather than proteins. However, with the advent of better synthetic techniques, peptides as long as hundreds of amino acids can be made, including full proteins like ubiquitin. Native chemical ligation has given access to even longer proteins, so this convention seems to be outdated.

Another convention places an informal dividing line at approximately 50 amino acids in length (some people claim shorter lengths). However, this definition is somewhat arbitrary. Long peptides, such as the amyloid beta peptide linked to Alzheimer's disease, can be considered proteins; and small proteins, such as insulin, can be considered peptides. Because of the arbitrary nature of this definition, there is considerable movement within the scientific community to ascribe the more-specific definition that "a peptide is an amino acid molecule without secondary structure; on gaining defined structure, it is a protein." Thus the same molecule can be either a peptide or a protein depending on its environment, though there are peptides that cannot be proteins.

As I understand peptides bind amino acids to form protein. This will be the truth until DV comes in here and corrects me!

Haha. I am done correcting or suggesting anything on this forum! I have been put in my place. My conventional, professional opinion is patoohey!

Please don't be done. I know that I REEEEALLLLY appreciate your input. I've learned more from you than anyone on this forum

Glutamine-L has nothing to do with gluten.

Anyway, yes Glut.-L is said to make the protein synthesis more effective. I bought a can of this stuff just to try it out. It is pretty cheap and the daily dose is like 5 grams so it lasts pretty long.

Even though it says a "serving" is 5 grams, you probably want to take 2-3 servings a day. 1-2 at a time whenever and one before bed worked well for me.

Anyway, yes Glut.-L is said to make the protein synthesis more effective. I bought a can of this stuff just to try it out. It is pretty cheap and the daily dose is like 5 grams so it lasts pretty long.

Even though it says a "serving" is 5 grams, you probably want to take 2-3 servings a day. 1-2 at a time whenever and one before bed worked well for me.

What's the reason behind this?

Taking LG at night aids in the production of HGH while you sleep.

Taking LG at night aids in the production of HGH while you sleep.

Let me rephrase.

Why should I take three times the recommended serving when it states in the side of the can that "Do not take more than five grams a day"?

What kind of glutamine is it? If it is just the amino acid L-glutamine that warning is nonsense, but don't take my advice as medical advice and I'm not responsible for what you do.

If it is glutamine-AKG or an ester or something you may need to take less because of the claim that absorption is higher when the substance has an AKG or ester attached to it (the juries out on some forms of attached molecules and whether or not they really make a difference).

What kind of glutamine is it? If it is just the amino acid L-glutamine that warning is nonsense, but don't take my advice as medical advice and I'm not responsible for what you do.

If it is glutamine-AKG or an ester or something you may need to take less because of the claim that absorption is higher when the substance has an AKG or ester attached to it (the juries out on some forms of attached molecules and whether or not they really make a difference).

It says only Amino acid Glut.-L. I ordered it straight from the company that is making this product, so maybe I'll just e-mail them and ask them why it is just 5g/day.

• 1 month later...

I take jarrow l-glutamine, you can find it online for like 40 bucks for 1000 grams which would last 7 months at 5 mg a day.

I think it does help with muscle growth, being the most abundant amino acid used in muscle production. Glutamine is also a precursor to the neurotransmitter GABA, and can thus stabilize mood and prevent cravings for nicotine, alcohol, stimulants, and overeating/food cravings.

It is also an antioxidant.

I'm not sure if there is much increased benefit to taking more than 5 or 10 mg per day though... More than 5 mg at a time can cause a headache...