How do you train?

Are you the type that hits a muscle hard once per week? A few times per week?

Generally, I feel like I need to do a muscle twice a week, I think this is impatience though. For the past few weeks I've done each muscle group once per week and have seen better gains.

I feel like I need to stick with that, but I'm too impatient!

i go for once per week. i also see better gains that way.

but most of the muscles gets hit twice per week since they are used as synergists in compound movements. for example: my triceps and delts are pretty finished after i've done chest.

I used to do once a week and hit them hard with multiple sets. I think that is a really good way to do it. Currently I am hitting each muscle group twice a week, with my workout split into upper body for one day and lower body/core for the other. The first time I hit the muscles that week, I use heavy weights and low reps for one set each exercise. The second time I use lighter weights with higher reps for one set each exercise. I always to one warm-up set, so I am kind of doing two sets. Each set after the warm up is done at high intensity, just short of failure (usually...) It is quite similar to the four day routine here: http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LightHeavy.html

I have been getting good results so far. I have been doing this for about one month. For me, this is the only way I can make good gains hitting a muscle group twice a week. Doing it high volume didn't work that well for me and caused me to overtrain a couple of times, once quite badly.

I've never done splits, or isolation exercises. My workout looks something like this:

Day 1

Bench

Incline

Dips

Pushup bars

Day 2

Squat

Deads

Seated DB Press

Pullups (narrow)

Day 3

DB Press (slow)

Pushup bars (slow)

Cleans

Bent Over Rows

Pullups (wide)

The days in between I usually jump rope, and do ab, calf, or various body weight exercises.

I feel as though I'm getting stronger, but I'm not showing it at all...I still look scrawny.

Are you the type that hits a muscle hard once per week? A few times per week?

Generally, I feel like I need to do a muscle twice a week, I think this is impatience though. For the past few weeks I've done each muscle group once per week and have seen better gains.

I feel like I need to stick with that, but I'm too impatient!

2x a week. Monday and Friday. Monday is my hard day. 5 sets monday 3 friday for each part.

When I lifted I lifted hard every single day...rotating from upper body to legs the next day. I ate enough to make up for this and I recovered thanks to that. I'd basically kill myself and only take 1-2 days off a month unless I was maxing or nearing important track meets. In that case I'd drop the weight...and increase reps ...decrease rest between sets and all the over training would finally kick in as power.

My job is very physical so when I hit the gym on the weekend I will do a full body workout usually. At home I train too. I do my upper body a lot since I'm a girl and that's where I'm weakest. My legs and back seem to build the quickest.

I'm older so I get injuries easier than most of you and recovery takes longer than it did in my 30's. Therefore, I have found the greatest gains and lowest injuries with working each part once per week.

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing almost 2x per exercise per week right now. After warming up I do 5 real sets, between 5 and 7 reps per set. This is more volume than I used to do and I am finding out that volume works for me. I add one rep per exercise per workout, and once I reach 5 sets of 7 reps I increase the weight and drop back to 5 sets of 5 reps.

day 1: dumbell chest press --> behind neck barbell press

day 2: squats

day 3: lat pull-down --> deadlift

day 4: rest

I can't say for sure since I don't have enough food to start. But I personally would workout every day and alter different muscle groups between the days. Making Sunday my oone relaxation day( Besides riding my bikke to get to work if I gotta )

one group once a week works best for me. if I try and do twice a week i feel like im giving up some exercises. Ive tried everything and with my lifestyle one group once a week works the best. although my legs get worked several times do to the running and my forearms inadvertently get worked every time i work out upper body(and all the manu stuprare cant hurt).

Usually train muscle groups once per 7-10 days, but upper back for me is usually every 4-6 days as it seems to recover much faster and can take a lot more abuse.

I've always felt that going on instinct is best - if something is still sore or you don't feel up to hammering out a PR day, then either train something else or go light. No sense in setting yourself up for disappointment on a bad day where things aren't going as planned. I've had leg days that I did 5 days apart, and I've had 2 weeks between - sometimes you just have to listen to your body and sort out what will be best rather than adhering to a tight schedule and forcing days that aren't going to be too productive and will be mentally defeating.

I train Brazillian Jiu Jitsu every day and i'm going to start training boxing and kickboxing again, so i can't really do the type of routine where i have a 3 or 4 day training spilt where i hammer certain muscle groups. So when i do lifts i just do it on in one day. I focus on compound lifts that take care of alot of muscle, so i can have a quick and effective work out. And i do this as much as i can( meaning dpending on how my body feels) so it's usally about 3 times a week.

When we rest is actually when muscle do build and grow, so it sounds like your body is responding really well to rest. I think it's important to switch things up, so maybe do this for a couple months, then go back to hitting the muscle groups 2 x that you want to build...

Generally, I do two times for things I'm trying to build (shoulders) or tighten (glutes, quads) and once for muscles I'm trying to maintain or not build.

• 3 weeks later...