Soy/Whey Testosterone study

Zack

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

From what I have seen of the soy hysteria, protein powders would seem to be the worst, so if those do not have adverse effects natural soy foods are less likely too.

I was perusing a forum I usually no longer read. A nutrition major who has been vegan and taking large amounts of soy protein powder daily for two years ( about 170 grams )went to his doctor and insisted on having blood work for all of the boogey man substances people try to scare vegans with.

All of his nutrients were high.

His estrogen levels were low normal for a man his age.

His testosterone levels were high normal for a man his age.

Years ago when such things still worried me I got PMed a similar account from a middle aged weight lifting buff who went and had his hormones measured after years of heavily hitting the soy. Sure enough, everything came back normal.

It isn't the best thing in the world to eat extracts instead of whole foods, nor is it good to not get variety. However, I think the anti-soy stuff is hype.

Soy Beans.....yes, even the straight beans taste great. They are a wealth of nutrition beyond just protein. They are also CHEAP and CHEAP compared to foods offering similar level of individual nutrients. Soy is a real threat to livestock and dairy producers, both of which have loads of money to fund FUD.

I have tempeh, soy beans, or tofu 2-3 times a week.

I am going to enjoy them from now on without any doubt.

• 2 months later...

Speak for yourself...we have forum members here that eat lots of soy and are gay...chances are the soy wasn't working right for those of us that aren't gay...or we just aren't gay yet

Speak for yourself...we have forum members here that eat lots of soy and are gay...chances are the soy wasn't working right for those of us that aren't gay...or we just aren't gay yet

lol there are gays on this forum? :S I don't think it's because of soy...

well I don't eat that many soy, a cup of cocoa with soy milk, I eat the usual meat meals with soy, no meat.., and put soy milk on cornflakes, and I eat a lot of fruit, and vegetables, I don't think so tha Im gonna be gay chineese eat a lot of soy and they are not gay

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/10/DDGTFNF6OC1.DTL&hw=soy+gay&sn=001&sc=1000

"Is it not obvious? After all, most vegans eat a lot of soy. Consequently, most vegans are, of course, violently gay, just like the billions of Asians who've eaten soy products for millennia and are so gay and feminine and estrogen heavy they can barely stand up. Which explains Hello Kitty. And samurai movies. And the Scion Xb. I mean, obviously."

lol

hope I will not become gay xDDD

Until the day when I can make a living by shaking my titties, I will argue to the death that soy does not affect your test/estrogens levels in a negative way.

That said, if I did think that soy was bad, that article wouldn't convince me otherwise. The study took place over 12 weeks and we're talking about altering the chemical structure of your inner workings here, it would take longer than 12 weeks, a study would have to be conducted over a full year in order to prove once and for all that soy is not bad for your test levels.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Soy made me gay. i was all heterosexual and loved the women. as soon as i switched to soy its just men that tickle my fancy.

F U soy! for giving me the gay.

Wow. After all the insane amounts of soy I've eaten I should have gone gay a long time ago. I once ate 10-12 packages of tofu in chow mein.

Maybe I am gay. I knew there was a good reason I was such a fan of Boy George. He can tumble for me all night long

• 3 weeks later...

i was gay before soy.....i agree that a test conducted over a twelve week period isnt entirely conclusive. very interesting though, and the basis for research that needs to be done in the future. although no study needs to tell us that too much of anything can be bad. aside from love, everything in moderation.

• 1 month later...

My personal experience has left me to believe there isn't much affect that Soy has on my testosterone. I mean I take it 32 oz of soy with 2 servings of soy protein everyday, with some tofu a few times a week, and I have really not noticed any differences what so ever. I definitely have no problem growing body hair .

These studies are so very hard to interpret; taking into account all of the variables at play is definitely tough, and it'll probably be awhile (if ever) before we really know what half the stuff we're eating (and don't know about) actually does to us.

In changing to a vegetarian diet, I too was concerned about all of the "dangers lurking in soy" articles on the internet, and a book or two on amazon. Most of the publishers of the articles either weren't reliable, or their sponsors were from or sponsored by a competing industry (the cattlemen's association [aka big beef] used to refute the benefits of a vegetarian diet). So it's difficult to sift through a lot of the info out there given all of the special interests who stand to make a buck off of selling you their product(s).

I've been doing the soy thing for years and am fit as a fiddle. A quick inventory reveals no boobs, shrinking (or newly appearing) appendages, or an imbalance in hormone levels.

The fashion sense thing... yes, but that happened long before soy!