Vegan Diet - The Best Anti Aging Remedy???

veggieprincess

I am constantly humbled and flattered by the shock that I see in people's faces when I tell them my age. You can just brush off a few of these comments as people who are trying to flatter you... but when it happens constantly.. you figure it must be true.

This is twice as flattering living in an area (Orange County) where every other women at my age has had their face injected with something or used some sort of help to prevent aging.

So I can only contribute it to the Vegan diet and being really fit. Nothing else explains it. There are also several examples on this board of women in my age range that look at least a decade younger than their actual age.

What's more, being a FAIRLY new Vegan... (I think it's about 3 years or so for me now), the age that people guess seems to be going DOWN with each birthday. So it seems the longer I'm a Vegan the more anti-aging effect it is having on my skin.

Has anyone else experienced this? People in society telling you that you look a lot younger than you are? I think the caveat would be it has this effect on people that are doing a Vegan diet very HEALTHFULLY (getting a very wide variety of macronutrients, vitamins mineral, etc), not smoking, drinking heavily, doing drugs, not sunbathing regularly, etc. etc.

I am truly beginning to think that a Vegan diet might be one of the best anti-aging remedies out there... like an instant face lift

I am 27 and people guess that I am still a teenager! I even get dirty looks sometimes when I am with my 2 year old b/c people think that I am a teenage mom and people always assume that he is my first baby (I also have a 5 year old daughter). I was picking up a prescription for my dad at the pharmacy the other day and the pharmacist didn't think that my kids were mine because she thought I was too young to have kids!

I definitely think it is the diet, combined with my penchant for wearing sunscreen religiously.

I used to always pass for like 18 even in my mid-twenties....but now many people think I look old ....I've had that comment a few times recently...thinking I'm 35-40 and I am 29.

I think it has more to do with my lack of sleep and high stress than anything...but it is something I've been conscious of because I've been hearing it for the past year

I still feel and act like 21 a lot of the time....but can actually see myself aging too, to some degree, even before age 30 I'm starting to look older than that!!! Not that over 30 is old...but I don't have my "youthful" look I used to have

Animal products Raise IGF-1 Growth factor that leads to faster aging, unfortunately for many vegans that are heavy on processed soy products, soy protein raises it double what even Whey Protein Isolate does which raises it the highest of the AP. Dr. McDougall had a lecture about this

Animal products Raise IGF-1 Growth factor that leads to faster aging, unfortunately for many vegans that are heavy on processed soy products, soy protein raises it double what even Whey Protein Isolate does which raises it the highest of the AP. Dr. McDougall had a lecture about this

Whey doesn't seem to even raise IGF-1-levels at all. What are you talking about?

Differential effects of casein versus whey on fasting plasma levels of insulin, IGF-1 and IGF-1/IGFBP-3: results from a randomized 7-day supplementation study in prepubertal boys.

Background/Objectives:Milk increases both fasting insulin and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), and thereby growth, in healthy prepubertal boys. It is, however, unknown which components in milk are responsible for milk's growth-stimulating effect.

Subjects/Methods:To get closer to the identification of which components in milk that stimulate growth, we have performed an intervention study with 57 eight-year-old boys in which we examined the effects of the two major milk protein fractions, whey and casein, and milk minerals (Ca and P) in a 2 x 2 factorial design on IGFs and glucose-insulin metabolism. The amounts of whey and casein were identical to the content in 1.5 l skim milk. The amounts of Ca and P were similar to 1.5 l skim milk in the high-mineral drinks, whereas the amounts of Ca and P were reduced in the low-mineral drinks.

Results:There were no interactions between milk mineral groups (high, low) and milk protein groups (whey, casein). Serum IGF-1 increased by 15% (P<0.0001), whereas there was no change in fasting insulin (P=0.36) in the casein group. In the whey group, fasting insulin increased by 21% (P=0.006), with no change in IGF-1 (P=0.27). There were no independent effects of a high milk mineral intake on IGF-1 and insulin.

Conclusions:The main milk protein fractions exhibit important but different growth-promoting effects by increasing either fasting insulin (whey) or IGF-1 (casein) levels.

I'm with ya, Robert - I'm also often mistaken to be older than I actually am... and I'm only 21 How's that for "anti-aging"?

Diet is definitely working out for the age thing, I look and feel younger than I am (not that I have much against aging). Also calorie restriction and maybe intermittent fasting is probably useful.

I've read parts of Okinawa diet (I knew most of what's stated in there already). It's an interesting concept that is pretty similar to Fuhrmans diet tips.

My understanding was that eating a lot of fruit gave one a youthful appearance, and vegans could tend to eat more fruit than the general population.

Though honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with genetics. You could have very blessed genes that cause you to age more slowly.

maybe it was casin, either way the ap raise the IGF-1

Obviously that's a gross generalization that's not based on science since I just posted a study showing one animal protein that does not raise IGF-1 levels. I haven't seen many studies done on different proteins and IGF-1 levels. Please feel free to post the ones you've read.

I still look like I'm in high school too and I'm 23. Everyone thinks my little sister is older than me.

Awww.

that must make you feel good!

that happened the other day at work... 2 sisters (in their 20s/30s) came in to the store that I work at and we thought they were twins but one was actually 10 years older than the other one! and when you looked closer the older one actually looked younger! So I think instances like that show that it is not all in the genes.

I forgot about this one: I went to a new dentist last year and when they called me back to the chair, they asked me where my parents were- implying that I am too young to be at the dentist by myself?!

I forgot about this one: I went to a new dentist last year and when they called me back to the chair, they asked me where my parents were- implying that I am too young to be at the dentist by myself?!

You must have been thrilled.

I sure wish I were so lucky.

Obviously that's a gross generalization that's not based on science since I just posted a study showing one animal protein that does not raise IGF-1 levels. I haven't seen many studies done on different proteins and IGF-1 levels. Please feel free to post the ones you've read.

is that sarcasm I smell?

is that sarcasm I smell?

No. I would love to look like a teenager. I guess it could get a little annoying being asked questions like that if it happened too often but it would be flattering at the same time.

Ooh, I still get carded for R-rated movies sometimes (I'm 25). I know..."I'll appreciate it when I'm older", I know. Let's just hope it lasts Whenever someone tells me that, I feel like they're cursing me to wake up when I'm 30 and suddenly look like I'm 10 years older.

Are you stupid? I'm sorry but I am forced to ask. First of all it's lame to answer my text with a link to a video without writing anything yourself. Second of all I've seen that video maybe 5 times and if you look at the video at 6.00 McDougall shows a slide that states that meat did not raise IGF-1 levels. And no the meat wasn't free from animal protein or blabla it was full of it. Simply saying "ap raises IGF-1 levels" is nothing short of a lie.

Are you stupid? I'm sorry but I am forced to ask. First of all it's lame to answer my text with a link to a video without writing anything yourself. Second of all I've seen that video maybe 5 times and if you look at the video at 6.00 McDougall shows a slide that states that meat did not raise IGF-1 levels. And no the meat wasn't free from animal protein or blabla it was full of it. Simply saying "ap raises IGF-1 levels" is nothing short of a lie.

Yeah I saw that too Johan. Just as a side note, during that same time frame doesnt he also say that milk is important for growing children. He doesnt actually say human milk for human or cow for cow. I think he should have qualified that statement.

Erm.. Back to the subject

Ditto.......back to the subject ....

I went vegetarian at 14 and vegan at about 29. I get asked on match.com if my current pictures are truly current.

I don't think any vegan diet automatically does this. Relieving a human body of the stress of dealing with large amounts of animal products is only part of it. Minimizing intoxicants is another part.. Avoiding getting caught up in "magical diets" to get adequate nutrition is another part. Lastly, I believe eating a lot of vegetables regularly is one of the biggest parts. I've seen a number of vegans who smoke, drink, do nutty diets or who get a lot of refined food. They tend to look their age.

I'm not going to waste my time with you, if you want more info about it read Mcdougall's book or his articles.