hey, bad news

Richard

Hey dudes, not sure why I want to talk about it here, but there you go. On saturday my uncle killed himself, jumped in front of a train. There's a lot of mental illness in my family, specifically depression / bipolar, he was depressed. So right now my parents and stuff are kind of all over the place, and I don't quite know how to react to it all. It's made me think carefully about my family, and (maybe surprisingly) it's made me more pissed off with them than ever. I don't really know what I'm thinking at the moment, and I feel really emotionless, and just feel like I want to get away from my family and the illness everywhere, all of my close family are on anti-depressants and various other medication, it grinds me down to think about it. But I guess I might be away from the forum again for a while, as I don't really know how things are going to be for a little while. I don't want people to worry too much about me, but to understand I guess what's going on, or why I might say certain things right now, or why I might be away. Anyway, yeah don't worry too bad, I didn't know the guy too well, it's mainly my family, my parents, who are suffering, and it's their actions which are affecting me, and how the family is reacting is a kick up my ass I guess.

It's tough living with people on anti-dep's. My grandmother tried killing herself in July, and I felt really mad/somewhat worthless because I felt like I wasn't enough in her life for her to even live out those last couple of years that would have been, but feeling that way towards your uncle (who was probably younger) is tough. I'm really sorry to hear about that man, I hope you still can stick around though, I'm sure we'll all be supportive of you.

If you do want to get away though for a little while, maybe you could take a trip to the states for a couple of weeks. I'd definitley let you stay here if you did.

Richard thanks for the heads up. I know your absence will be felt. Hurry back and just keep a hold of yourself, dont get lost in your parent's worry and everything. It seems you are very well grounded and have a good view of who is doing what so I have no fears. anyhow visit us when you can in the meantime. We're here for you.

I'm sorry for your loss Richard and my condolences to you and your family. It's ok to be angry, it's a defense mechanism to cope with your many emotions -- grief, being scared for some members of your family, sadness and maybe a little bit of helplessness.

Please know that I am here for you and feel free to vent and/or PM me. My thoughts are with you.

Thanks everyone for your support, I appreciate that. I will be okay, it's just that I'll probably be preoccupied with family stuff going on, and probably will be distracted or at least put in an odd mood by my parents actions around now, I dunno.

What a nice forum we have

Thanks everyone for your support, I appreciate that. I will be okay, it's just that I'll probably be preoccupied with family stuff going on, and probably will be distracted or at least put in an odd mood by my parents actions around now, I dunno.

What a nice forum we have

Keep your head up and look after your family bro!!!

I'll be thinking about you!!!!

Wow Richard, sorry to hear that. I too can relate from personal experience. My grandfather killed himself when I was 18. We were close, I lived just a few blocks from him all my life up until then.

I know you will be okay and come out stronger on the other side. Times like this are a good time to reflect on how short and fragile life is. Make sure you are living your life the way you want to.

You are the most awesome ninja we know. Take care and hope to have you back here soon.

That's some tough stuff Richard. I haven't had to deal with any depression in my family but we have some issues as well(wayyyy too Catholic grandma and cheating alcoholic uncle who stole thousands from my dad when they worked together).

Just stick with your family no matter how crazy they may be acting. They will be there for you later on in life when something difficult crosses paths with you.

Thanks everyone for your replies

UGH! It makes me sick, the media. The day after my uncle died, newspaper people were round his neighbour's houses, blah, and when the transportation police (the people who were dealing with his death as it was at the trainstation) talked to my dad and his other brother, they said that they should expect to be contacted by newspapers etc in the next few days. It's so ****ing rude of them to stick their nose in so early. Luckily it seems that my direct family won't be bothered by it, but my other uncle will be because he was signed as next of kin so the papers can get hold of him. And in the papers, they've already printed his name and his address and his place of work, and interviewed people from his work... and at the end of the article it says 'did you know him? Call us!'... really they have no respect whatsoever. And I can hardly contact them and tell them off, because then they'll ask ME questions because I knew him, ****ers

Well they aren't coming to us, I dunno if they will. Luckily I haven't been that affected by his death as such, but still feeling my family's reaction. But to go and try to get hold of closer family to him, I think it's ing. Everyone is worried that the press will find our grandmother's (his mother) address and then hassle her. She is very old and very confused. She doesn't even know how he died, because she is too upset to deal with it. ****ing press will just tell her straight up and break her heart and then bug the crap out of her with questions for their story. I really hope that doesn't happen.