How much Hummus is too much?

Guest SportyDog

Hey all,

I have been finding myself eating large bowls of celery, carrots,and broccoli with hummus. I love the stuff and could eat it all day, but I'm sure I'm probably taking in too much.

How much do you guys think I should be having each day? 2-4 tbsp too much? Ok? I'm sure I'm probably way more than that now.

Thanks.

Hey all,

I have been finding myself eating large bowls of celery, carrots,and broccoli with hummus. I love the stuff and could eat it all day, but I'm sure I'm probably taking in too much.

How much do you guys think I should be having each day? 2-4 tbsp too much? Ok? I'm sure I'm probably way more than that now.

Thanks.

I think 2-4 tbsp. is a good serving size. If I have it with just veggies, I allow myself to eat more. But if I have it with pita and veggies, then I don't have more than a 2 tbsp. serving. I also make it myself so I can control the olive oil content.

Watch the movie...you don't mess with the Zohan...that is too much hummus.

seriously though if your stomach starts to hurt you have eaten to much! You could probably eat about 1/2 cup per day...as long as you watching your fats in your other meals.

When i eat hummus i eat over a pound of it and a pound of flax crackers in one meal. I have a crazy appitite, but i say away from it becasue the amount of fat and the price

1 Can of Garbanzo Beans - Cooked & Drained

2-3 Cloves of Garlic

1 TB Lemon Juice

1 TB Tahini

Splash of Lime Juice

1/4 tsp Cumin

1/4 tsp Paprika

Dash of Cayenne, and Chili Powder

Squirt of Chili Sauce or your favorite hot sauce

Simple, fairly inexpensive, and a hell of a lot better than store bought.

When i eat hummus i eat over a pound of it and a pound of flax crackers in one meal. I have a crazy appitite, but i say away from it becasue the amount of fat and the price

1 Can of Garbanzo Beans - Cooked & Drained

2-3 Cloves of Garlic

1 TB Lemon Juice

1 TB Tahini

Splash of Lime Juice

1/4 tsp Cumin

1/4 tsp Paprika

Dash of Cayenne, and Chili Powder

Squirt of Chili Sauce or your favorite hot sauce

Simple, fairly inexpensive, and a hell of a lot better than store bought.

So I guess by cooking the beans, you eliminate the need for so much oil? I usually use canned ones, but I have to put oil in them to make it smooth.

Drain the beans. Pour into a pot, and add fresh water. Cook for 5 - 10 minutes.

Toss the garlic in a running food processor.

Add the beans - process until smooth - add tahini - process.

Add the remaining ingredients. After everythings nice and mixed up add water to achieve the consistency you're after.

I usually just add more lemon juice and water to make it smoother rather than olive oil. I always use fresh cooked beans rather than canned because I just pressure cook them. I don't soak the beans beforehand or drain the water after cooking them to preserve nutrients. I don't tend to have trouble with gas anymore, either. You just need to get used to it.

1-2 tablespoons? That seems like a little amount

I eat 100-150 grams of hummus a day with wholemeal bread & I seem to be ok, although anymore is gonna hurt the belly.

My only concern was that it is a bit high in saturated fat when bought ready made, so I buy the reduced fat stuff.

I say you can never eat too much hummus, just because it's so damn good.

I liked it for bulking season, cut down for cutting season...I just dip my pita bread it in, SOMETIMES scoop with it. I only use one loaf of pita bread.

I eat hummus BY THE TUB. It's one of those foods that seems to just disappear when it goes into me, it really doesn't fill me up unless I eat it with something pretty substantial. I usually just use broccoli and swipe away at it until the tub is empty, then express disappointment that I have to get up to eat something else.

My DH makes homemade hummus, which I eat AT LEAST a cup at a time. We make it pretty low-fat. Chickpeas are a superfood!!

My guilty pleasure hummus is from a local Middle Eastern deli is SOOooooo rich and delicious, I could eat a cup of that too. But I try not to, it's pretty calorific.