honey?

This is a very tough subject most of the time.

It is discussed in a variety of books, I may even include some excerpts soon.

My sister is vegan for 15 years and does consume honey, Me...vegan for 10 years, I don't.

It all depends on the person I think. Some do, some don't and I personally don't consider "vegans" who consume honey to be NOT vegan.

I'll try to post more info on it later.

Hrmm good you brought taht up because I was thinking about it before. Im not really sure, but seeing that the bees produce it, they are forced to right?

It is like anything else, there is what I would call "factory farmed" honey and "free range" honey.

I think that if you are going to eat honey you should do three things...

1. buy local, recent studies have shown that you can reduce your allergenic reaction to natures lovely polygenic matter by eating honey made in your area.

2. buy local, most local farmers that collect honey just put large boxes out and let the bees do their thing. they are not "forced" to make the honey nor are they "genetically enhanced"

3. eat it with peanut butter, its so damn good.

"Factory farmed" or "Free Range", wouldnt the bees try to protect their hive no matter what, and in turn sting then die? Or do beekeepers somehow lure the bees from the hive, then collect the honey? Don't bees use honey for nourishment?

"Factory farmed" or "Free Range", wouldnt the bees try to protect their hive no matter what, and in turn sting then die? Or do beekeepers somehow lure the bees from the hive, then collect the honey? Don't bees use honey for nourishment?

Thanks for that, no more honey for me.

Bee keepers have these little fan things that blow some sort of smoke into the hive which drives the bees out so they can get the honey. Once they are done they let the bees go back to life as normal. Now I am not personally a bee keeper so I do not know how the smoke effects them nor do I know if they are persistant to sting you after they are blown out. You are correct with the notation about bees stinging and loosing their stinger resulting in their death. I personally am not educated in this field enough to really say whether honey is vegan or not.

Both the US and UK vegan societies classify honey as an animal product and therefore not vegan.

Bees do a tremendous amount of work to produce and store their honey. They are making it for themselves, not for us to take. Local or free range or whatever, there is no way to maintain a hive and steal the honey without killing bees in the process.

Since it isn't vegan, is stolen from a hard working being, can't be gotten without killing and isn't necessary for human nutrition, wouldn't it be better just to avoid it? There are plenty of vegan alternatives to honey.

Both the US and UK vegan societies classify honey as an animal product and therefore not vegan.

Bees do a tremendous amount of work to produce and store their honey. They are making it for themselves, not for us to take. Local or free range or whatever, there is no way to maintain a hive and steal the honey without killing bees in the process.

Since it isn't vegan, is stolen from a hard working being, can't be gotten without killing and isn't necessary for human nutrition, wouldn't it be better just to avoid it? There are plenty of vegan alternatives to honey.

Personally I agree. I just wanted everyone to know why some vegans argue that it is ok. Btw I am not fully vegan yet, there is still a bunch of things in my cabnets and fridge I still need to eat. You see as much as I would like to be vegan I cannot make the full plunge until I eat all I have bought. I am not into wasting if I bought it so once it is all gone there will be no more non-vegan purchases.

Personally I agree. I just wanted everyone to know why some vegans argue that it is ok. Btw I am not fully vegan yet, there is still a bunch of things in my cabnets and fridge I still need to eat. You see as much as I would like to be vegan I cannot make the full plunge until I eat all I have bought. I am not into wasting if I bought it so once it is all gone there will be no more non-vegan purchases.

I agree with that belief that you said about not wasting, it would make it look worse if you did waste it. I just give the stuff to my mom or something. Just be thankful and ever thoughtful for their "sacrifices" and the pain they endured.

• 4 years later...

for a long time i didn't eat honey, but the fact is: it is the healthiest natural sweetener out there. agave nectar ofter has corn syrup added(although not always listed) and corn is just a massive gmo'd to the max product. i only buy/eat raw local and organic honey. i like to know where everything comes from that i consume.

for a long time i didn't eat honey, but the fact is: it is the healthiest natural sweetener out there. agave nectar ofter has corn syrup added(although not always listed) and corn is just a massive gmo'd to the max product. i only buy/eat raw local and organic honey. i like to know where everything comes from that i consume.

Honey isn't healthy, agave isn't healthy, HFCS is not healthy, brown sugar isn't healthy, maple syrup isn't healthy, rice syrup isn't healthy etc etc. Only significant difference is that all of the above EXCEPT honey is vegan.

Fact isfish is the healthiest meat out there...

Get on stevia!Alkaline and has no sugars or calories and gives you a unique energy.Also has vitamins and cures cancer.Also cleanses the body when taken in large amounts.Blend it in water and see.

I'll use honey as a topical ointment on cuts, and as a cough soother when I'm sick before I'll use a cough syrup that has gelatin, or a ointment that's been tested on animals, and has gelatin.

Tea tree oil is awesome antiseptic even aloe vera makes a good ointment, heals sunburn and even makes a good hair gel.

Bee's numbers are declining and i think it might have to do with taking their food off them because when you think about it even though the farmers put out those bee boxes that doesn't make much of a difference in their colony size then if they were in the wild and constantly taking their food supply just as they build up a good amount must have an affect on their numbers.They don't farm like cows.And if the bee's go so does the rest of the animal kingdom including us.I think it's estimated 5 years after the bee's we die to.

Let the bee's be.

Get on stevia!

Sure.

Alkaline and has no sugars or calories and gives you a unique energy.Also has vitamins and cures cancer.Also cleanses the body when taken in large amounts.

No.

Then how do you explain this!