How did you find your way to VBBF?

Lean and Green

Any touching stories of how you found your way to this forum and what it has done for you in terms of support?

As for myself, I remember coming across Robert's myspace page on a vegan friend's myspace page. He was on the top friends list and I just had to see what the buff man was all about. I never really took a good look at the forum. But coming back to training in january, I remembered about vbbf and decided it would be a great place to facilitate a healthy environment for support and to post progress. I didn't feel comfy posting in other non vegan bbing forums as my physique was lacking and people are overly critical and tend to be rude but over here I felt right at home from day one. The friendships and unity and overall positive vibe hooked me . There is nothing but love, peacefulness and serenity floating in the threads and I feel no worries to post away when I don't know something and I know no one will flame away. It's a great feeling.

So what brought everyone else here?

I found the front page from some link when I was first looking into becoming a vegan but was afraid of getting weak. I looked at the pictures of Robert and Alex for quite some time and read their stories before I decided to go vegan. I think I actually joined the forum a couple of months later and was greatly surprised at the positive support. Most forums I have tried before have been terrible experiences.

I got an invitation from Robert Cheeke. I had seen him around various myspace vegan/vegetarian groups here and there and I remember being really impressed and thinking," Damn that seems like one hella cool guy"

I mostly remembered him from places like Quietly Vegetarian and Natural Me( Both are Myspace groupd ) and pretty soon I got a friend request from him( This was like a year or two ago I believe )

Well over the years when I changed myspace accounts or something I kinda forgot about the aspect of Vegan Bodybuilding. Then one day I received an invitation to a little Forum called Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness from our dear friend Rob. I only pondered on weather or not I should join for a few minutes but I figured it would be the perfect way to meet new like minded Vegan friends and use it as my main database for all things Vegan( Which is why I sometimes ask questions that may seem bizarre to others ) and as it turned out I did make some pretty good friends on this site.

Looking back on the decision to accept the offer I think I made the right decision. And even if I was stuck in a loop like Bill Murray and the only way to break it was to not sign up to this forum I'd still sign up everyday. Because a single day of knowing all of you all is by far better then even a lifetime of not knowing you peeps.

Keep it real, Don't eat Veal. I'm out ya'll

My brother who is actually not yet vegan, (I have hope he will be one day soon) told me about it because he knows I have a love for fitness, weight training and am a vegan. Anyway I finally decided to check it out about a year after he told me about it. And it was good timing because about one month later I had the opportunity to meet Robert, learn about Vega, and learn quite a bit about nutrition, which has motivated me a lot.

Any touching stories of how you found your way to this forum and what it has done for you in terms of support?

Well if you must know, there is this really cool guy (I think his name is Jack or aka Lean and Green) who referred me to this forum . I have enjoyed my time here so far. I have spent many hours so far reading previous posts. I'm definately more knowledgeable on tofu. LOL

I don't remember my exact path to veganbodybuilding.com

A couple years ago I was struggling with my weight and other health issues.

I met a person at a smoothie place.

We talked and she convinced me to go plant based.

I was also wanting to get stronger, and I magically found this site.

Daywalker on the front page back then and I was impressed.

I contacted Robert when I first turned vegan(over 6 yrs ago)and just told him that I was happy that a website existed for vegan strength athletes. Then I got caught up in other things and fell upon vegan fitness...I was there for about 1 week before I started looking here...I haven't left since. Other than me...this place is much less hostile.

You're probably just an ectomorph, like me. I have muscle, but I'm still really skinny and not that strong. One day I hope to do unassisted dips and chinups ^^

I heard about VBBF on a link on another vegan group, I think. Or google.. I forget.

Rob pimped it on a myspace forum I was using at the time. This forum was way better than that forum so I ended up using this one a lot more. I remember I had to offer to do design work for free for Rob about 3 times before he took me up on the offer

I had seen pics of Robert and Daywalker a long ago but I wasn't really that interested in bodybuilding until last november when I bought a bench press at home and started working out. I didn't know it would have such a great impact in me...

However, I started to look for more information of how to build muscle while being a vegan and I got help from a finnish animal rights forum... one day I asked if people could send before/after pics and someone sent me a link to VBBF's before/after section.

I watched the awesome pics which inspired me a lot and I registered right away. Some people have said that I give them inspiration and that feels great! I'm training primarily to promote veganism, but obviously I wouldn't do this if I didn't love pushing weights.

I am really glad that the forum is warm, fun and full of interesting & different people from all around the world.

I met Robert on the only other forum where I've been a member. He offered a fitness challenge and wooed me over here with that. I did not enter the challenge although he has some great bribery pictures (my before from 3 years ago) - but I did start going back to the gym and thinking about becoming muscular rather than thinner. Okay, so I thought about it for a couple of years before actually doing anything about it.

The only other forums I view are related to bodybuilding and some posts are so horrid that I can't stand to read them for long. First, the amounts of animal products consumed are sickening and second, some of the (younger) men are so misogynist it makes me sad for young women. I would rather find answers here, even if there aren't as many bodybuilders.

This forum does stay very civil, even when we have disagreements. I think that is in part because Robert is such a positive force. It may also be because we are a smaller forum and not too anonymous. Many of us have met someone on the forum in person, or plan to, and it's difficult to be rude when you know who you're talking to.

Nice thread, Lean and Green.

I guess about 6 months ago I was having some health problems. I thought it was the big "C". It wasn't but... I knew from being interested in bodybuilding for so long how diet is crucial to everything. I started searching and came accross vegetarian and vegan diets. I saw the Vegan fitness dvd and ordered it after I made the choice to become vegetarian. So after reading and researching I think I was vegetarian for 10 days and said why bother and dropped the dairy from my diet and started replacing shoes, wallets etc. with vegan alternatives as things wear out. I have to say though that knowing you could gain muscle while being vegan was a big deal for me. I really owe alot to Robert for being here, putting the dvd out there, and everything. I really should thank all of you guys too, reading through these posts were so (and continue to be) inspirational as well as funny! Without this forum I hardly think I would be vegan, it shattered sterotypes for me.

I actually have no idea how I discovered this site. I think it was just one of those happy Internet accidents around the time I went vegan last year. It's had a profound effect on my life, though--I never would have started lifting with a training mentality if I hadn't found this site.

Everyone has been really helpful, and Troy especially has been a source of great information and inspiration. I don't have a lot of time to sift through all the information that's out there, and Troy's photos and clearly written posts guided me in the right direction. Now I'm on the gemma and I'm throwing spinach and Ezekiel 4:9 into my smoothies. Thanks, man.

I was invited here by someone who was a really good friend at the time, who doesn't post here anymore (and who isn't a friend anymore either). I was feeling a bit discouraged about the politics of another forum and was told this place was very supportive.

p.s. I'm an ectomorph too.

I stumbled upon it using googs... I sat in the cut and read posts for quite awhile before joining and posting.

Troy especially has been a source of great information and inspiration. I don't have a lot of time to sift through all the information that's out there, and Troy's photos and clearly written posts guided me in the right direction. Now I'm on the gemma and I'm throwing spinach and Ezekiel 4:9 into my smoothies. Thanks, man.

You're Welcome Spine!

Funny thing about the Ezekiel products, I was thinking back to when I first started using them...I started using Ezekiel products back in 98-99, when my vegan nutrition professor suggested I try out the bread. All I remember they had was the regular "orange" packaged loaf, the "low sodium" variety, the cinnamon raisin, and the 7? or 9? grain variety of bread which I can't find on the website anymore? I use to make blueberry jam and almond butter sandwiches like nobody's business! Then came the Genesis product, and all the others. Still using Food for Life's products 10 years later and I think I got about 15 boxes of cereal in the pantry...

I love reading the stories about how you found your way here. Thanks so much for sharing, and I'd love to hear from more of you too. Thanks to those who started the thread and who have shared their story.

I found this site surfing. I was looking for a Vegan weightlilfting program.

I became a Vegan just a couple months ago and have only been a vegetarian since Oct 2007. I have been working out for over 27 years but didn't start really focusing on weight lifting till 1995. Also I lost a decent amount of bodyfat over the last few years but I am not finished. So I needed to find a good Vegan nutritional fat loss program plus a muscle being program.

So Here I Am

Funny thing about the Ezekiel products, I was thinking back to when I first started using them...I started using Ezekiel products back in 98-99, when my vegan nutrition professor suggested I try out the bread.

I like mixing Ezekiel cereal with rolled oats and raisins, topped with soymilk. That's good breakfast food. I haven't tried their bread, but fortunately I don't need to because Dave's Killer Bread is made right here in Portland, and I buy it fresh every week!